• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Custom Made Incredible Dock

Just so you know, I joined these forums just because of this dock. Freakin' sweet piece of work. I was just about to buy a mikradle, which is nice too, until I came upon this. Lucky timing.

So depending on the final cost ($35 or below), put me in for one now. I'll even pay in advance if you PM me your Paypal address. :)

FWIW, I too wouldn't mind a black option. Maybe have the Incredible in red. I think that would look pretty sweet.

I look forward to the updates. Looks like you may have found a nice way to pick up some extra cash.

Reactions: n2airz
Upvote 0
As far as all the DX guys go, I gotta make one for you guys too. Come one now did you think I would leave you out?

Also I am taking note of all the other design suggestions. You guys have some great ideas and I am listening.

can you make it compatible without removing the verizon snap on case on the dx, only reason i didnt buy a cradle is that i would have to remove the case to dock it, id rather just have it so i can just drop it in. thanks

Upvote 0
That is awesome. Count me in for one.

Few suggestions since you mentioned they were welcome:

I think it would be great if you did the final case with the ability to pressure fit the cable into the bottom, just like the one seen here. For me, this is what makes it desirable and makes it more "custom" made for the phone. You just put it in and don't have to worry about attaching a cable separately. You could order the cables in bulk and supply them or design for a specific cable and have people buy the cable separately themselves.

Design it to be modular (similar to what you have in your prototype) so that the top piece is custom made for a particular case and snaps or screws into the rest of the dock. If you're going to design different versions for different cases, have a few volunteers send you their cases so you can design around them.

You could also modify your design so the top piece could be tilted back or forward for different viewing angles by using just one straight leg on each side (wider at the bottom for stability) and securing it to the base with a rivet or sunken screw.

Again great work. What type of CNC equipment are you using? I have always wanted a small CNC machine for custom work, but they are pricey. Do you do any sort of one-off custom work (for instance if I sent you a prototype built from a mold, would you be able to CNC an aluminum piece from it)?

Upvote 0
I don't know if you could do this (or if it's even possible legally) but could you do a docking mount system like the iPod's have? Basically there is 1 devise to fit all, and then there are seperate little mounts that you add in depending on your device (the size of it). That way you could create lots of the exact same dock and then just enough mounts for each one, depending on demand.

If you are not fimiliar with iPod docks, here's a picture of one. That little base you see there where it sits in is removable and there are multiple sizes depending on which one you have (Such as a nano vs a 30 gig vs a 60 gig video)

princeton_pip_dock2.jpg

Upvote 0
Alright all you crazy android fans(I'm one too). The responses I have received have been a little overwhelming to say the least ;-). Anyways I have taken in to account sever suggestions and here is where I am at not.

For this first batch I was going to add a ~10 degree angle on the base, but I thought screw that. So I am going to add a pivot point so you can adjust it to the right angle for your liking. The next thing I am going to do is widen the the through hole for the usb connector. That way you can use any cable you want. I would really like it too be fixed, where you can just drop it in, but with the all the different thickness case designs and the extended battery designs, it ain't going to happen until I can come up with an elegant way to do it. If I can't do it right too where I think it looks cool, I am not going to half ass it. And finally...I will add some back support.

I haven't received my metal shipment yet so I can knock out a proto. So I will upload a 3d model later on tonight, with the changes.

I will also respond a little more in depth to some of these posts. But if I am on here all day responding to posts I'm not getting any work done. :)

edit. There is going to be any text or graphics engraved on them either. I don't want no trouble from Google, Verizon, or Lucas films ;-). However I think I will give an option to have something of your choice engraved on them to make it more personalized.
Stay tuned....

Upvote 0
There is going to be any text or graphics engraved on them either. I don't want no trouble from Google, Verizon, or Lucas films ;-). However I think I will give an option to have something of your choice engraved on them to make it more personalized.
Stay tuned....

I wouldn't worry too much about Google or Verizon. But Lucas is crazy and might have you bumped off it you steal his stuff :D

Did you know that George Lucas himself delivered Episode 1 to the premiere's? With the films handcuffed to him! He sat in projector booth for the entire film and waited while they broke it down so he could take it back to his studio. The man is basically insane :)

Anyway, great idea's for the changes to the dock and I think a personalized option would be very cool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones