• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Theme

First, did you upload your own files from your phone? Framework and whatever the GB one is if you're running GB. Secondly if the file you're about to flash called uot-000-000-00 or whatever, and is it in the root of your sd card? If all is good, reboot to the gnm recovery. Go to wipe and clear your cache and dalvic cache. Go back to the main recovery and choose flash zip.or install zip whichever it is.choose the one you made. Let it flash then reboot

Upvote 0
Ok now I feel like a complete and utter noob. I have figured out alot on my own, so where and how do you flash the CWM recovery, since it is not supported by CWM. Thanks for any help I feel helpless and dont want to brick my phone.
Its been a long day for me...and my post explaining it was riddled with spelling errors. I was referring to the gnm recovery, the custom one released for the commando. If my spelling errors weren't the source of your confusion, or you still have the stock recovery, go visit the thread for it somewhere in the root forum

Upvote 0
Here are some Screen Shots.

Attachments

• snap20120301_114137.png
    snap20120301_114137.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 59
  • snap20120301_113616.png
    snap20120301_113616.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 80
  • snap20120301_114543.png
    snap20120301_114543.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
Nice work Dreamcrusher.

I've also been messing around with the framework-res.apk without the kitchen. I've done some small mods, none worth mentioning except the modified lock slider. I like the stock lock screen but i also liked my mario theme on my witgetlocker lock screen (app that replaces lock screen) but widgetlock was too glitchy so i made some tweaks to the stock one

419090_10150571617951006_602661005_9285628_554637401_n.jpg

Warning, if you decide to do these types of mods, expect some trouble. I tried modding the .9.png files that make the status bar tweak not stick and it ended up force closing all system apps... weird i know.

Upvote 0
Dreamcrusher, or whoever else it may concern.

To change the lock slider i opened the UOT-xx-xx-xx-xx-x.zip with winrar and navigated to \framework\framework-res.apk\res\drawable-hdpi

in this folder you will find tons of pics used for the theme. what i did was extract a copy of the whole folder to use as refrence. i would modify the images i wanted from my refrence folder (for the lock slider it is nec_btn_lock_slide.png, and for the status bar it is nec_statusbar_background_vertical.png)

Now once you modify the images (i use gimp) go to winrar where the big list of pictures are, right click and choose "add files to archive" choose the modified files you made and add them. they should replace the stock ones as long as you keep the same name. Remember, you arent unziping the file! (except if you choose to make a reference folder, but it is just for reference)

back out of winrar and it will prompt you to update the .zip, do so.

once you are done, flash it just like any other theme

keep in mind if you are changing your status bar color, the clock does not change color. This is fine for me because i use a clock widget on my home screen and the lock has a big clock.

also the lock screen slider is the same as the call answer slider, which i dont mind because when people call me i get to slide mario over to answer it for me haha.

here is a short video of what i currently have going on, notice the black bar in froyo
(not shown, red battery bar, custom download bar, yingyang loading wheel, ect...)
Froyo commando custom theme - YouTube

Reactions: Dreamcrusher
Upvote 0
Thanks for the support guys.

So, if anyone has tried modifying the framework-res.apk themselves via 7zip winrar ect... or if anyone is about to, i have a treat for you...

I pulled the framework-res.apk off an Ice Cream Sandwich (4.03) device. Now i've only used to to steal all the icons and what not for mine and i'm in the process of making an ICS theme for the commando, however if you want to snag some of these and give it a go yourself here are my dropbox links:

ICS Framework-res.zip (i decompiled the .apk and zipped it up so its easier to download, unzip and pick around through all the icons, again your best bet is to go to \res\drawable-hdpi however i provided all the folders with it

if you just want the .apk file i also have that here

Upvote 0
If anyone is actually getting into this, i've discovered something that will simplify those pesky .9.png files.

Brief description about them, theyre basically stretchable pictures, or pictures without borders. so normal editing wont be able to encode them. The how-to's online are all wayyyy to complicated (decompiling the .apk files and using eclipse to recode them and what not) so i'm gonna show you the easy way if you want to modify these

The one i'm choosing to modify is the status_bar_close_on.9.png

now i wanted to make my own to resemble the ICS one since i couldnt locate it.

I opened the one i had in my framework file with gimp and edited it to my liking and saved it as a .png

once done i navigated to my \Android\android-sdk\tools\draw9patch

its a batch file, let it run an you will get a window with an arrow, drag and drop your .png here that you want as your new .9.png click file, then save-9-patch, save as status_bar_close_on and it will create your new encoded .9.png file. now you just add that to the correct framework folder and youre done!

I now have the ICS bottom menu bar for when you drag down your notifications but i cant seem to figure out this opacity issue just yet, its probably a .xml file i'm missing

Upvote 0
It's going to take a while. It's kind of a side project for me right now and i've run in to a couple snags. I'm running froyo and froyo doesn't support transparencies in the status bar, or status bar pull down bar. also as pax posted, ICS has the swipe to remove notification and this seems to be a 2.3+ only mod. I've been poking around in different xml files and messing with the code but i've had little success. It would be loads easier if i was on gingerbread because there are actually tutorials for that. And unfortunately UOT just hosts their images and animations, not those of 3rd party users so i dont see a way you could do it from there.

BUT if Pax or rgocal are successful in finding a way to get us 2.2.1's up to 2.3.3 then i'll probably put this on the front burner. If i do make it on 2.3.3 i could always post the file up and anyone with the commando could flash it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones