• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Customs well before Sprint's "Patch"

It's no joke. And it's got nothing to do with Sprint or HTC being slow to release.

The phone just got rooted yesterday, and all that's needed for custom ROMs is to patch in HTC's CDMA kernel (and fix any bugs that arise from that).

Custom ROMs will be available within the week most likely, possibly even in the next couple of days :D

Upvote 0
But what happens when we have some kind of catastrophic problem which bricks the phone and we have to deal with Sprint for a replacement? I'm not necessarily talking about bricking the phone with a custom ROM. I'm talking about one of the many things which can happen to a stock phone with a stock ROM.

For that matter, what if we have a peoblem that's just annoying enough that we want another phone? Take the dust under the screen issue for example. Will Sprint honor the warranty if they know the phone has bee rooted and flashed?

The answer may or may not stop me from rooting my own Hero, but I wonder whether I'd want to keep paying the $7/mo for the extended warranty if I do.

Pete

Upvote 0
Well, no amount of ROM'ing and tweaking you do is going to put dust under your screen or otherwise spawn manufacturing defects in your phone. That would still be covered by whatever insurance coverage you have.

If you're still within your 30 day window, Sprint/your vendor (if they support that agreement) will let you return or exchange the phone no matter what you've done, as long as the hardware is in new or near-new condition. Truly, they will either hard-flash and resell the phone, or ship it back to HTC to be refurbished (and likely sold again as new)

I'm of the opinion that when you purchase the phone, the phone should really be yours. You pay the carrier (Sprint) for access to their network using your device. What you do with it, as long as the act doesn't *directly* affect the service they provide (network access), should be your business.

It should really be no different than buying a computer at wally-world which just happens to be subsidized by your local ISP (3 months 'free' with a new purchase!) - you'd still expect to have full, unrestricted software control, but you might not want to, say, replace the motherboard and still expect it to be covered under warranty.

That said, if you happen to brick your phone and need an exchange, the first thing you tell the clerk probably shouldn't be 'So I was trying to root my phone and install this neato custom image..' ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones