• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM problem

OK, I know I'm new to rooting, but I wanted to try it before just buying another phone. I was using the following instructions: [GUIDE] How to install Clockwork Recovery Mod

Everything was going well until step 13 - Boot into CMW by holding down the Power, Volume Up and Volume Down simultaneously until the phone vibrates.

Well, it vibrated and it never stopped until I took the battery out. Since then I 've gone back and forth, trying to repeat the process over again, but getting the same results.

HELP!! :stupido:

OK, your phone should not be bricked. I'm assuming that you just downloaded a bad recovery image. Downloads mess up all the time. Try booting into download mode by pressing Power and Volume Down. Now, connect your phone to your PC. Delete that recovery image you just downloaded, and try getting a newer one here. It may even crash less. Anyhow, replace that recovery image that was causing the mess (not the backup) with CWM 6 from that link I just gave you. Besides, that site looks like it hasn't been updated in a while; you can always find the latest CWM recoveries here at Androidforums. Transfer the new recovery.img over the old one. Also, I don't know why they said name it .bu, I would name the file extension .old or .bak, IDK if it matters. Anyway, your phone should be able to boot into download mode. Keep pulling the battery until you can get into download mode (if it just boots and vibrates). If download mode isn't working, we may have a bigger problem, and you may want to ask one of the other guys about that. You want to replace the recovery image on your MOBILE partition only. Then, just disconnect your phone from your PC (eject/safely remove hardware) and pull the battery to exit download mode. Wait a few seconds, and pop the battery back in. Now, try and boot into recovery. BTW make sure you download the ICS blue recovery unless you like eye strain LOL. Lime green highlighting is not easy to read with white text.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones