• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 6.1/Android 2.2 Is here for GT540!

Yes you can! I already did twice. ;)

All you need to perform from fastboot:

1. fastboot -w
2. fastboot reboot (as soon LG logo appear press and keep pressed volume down button and power button) - you'll get download mode, then connect to PC USB cable.

Make sure you have disabled the LG MODEM driver in device manager.

4: Flash original 2.1 ROM using KDZ_FW_UPD as normal (but you can do this from now on ONLY with fastboot enabled roms).

Cheers, and goodluck! :D

Thanx a lot, didn't expected to get a quick reply. Now I'm again running 2.1 (UK+Fastboot) without any problems. The reason I shifted back to 2.1 was I needed MP4 recording badly as my Camcorder has become a trash and also there are some bugs in CyanogenMod. Else everything is fantastic!!

Upvote 0
Nope... Should i try a complete reinstall of the mod?

Hmm :\ i guess you could try it, if it doesn't work, then maybe it's your SD Card, cause mines working perfectly fine, its unbranded, a 4GB card that came with my old Nokia 5530 XPressMusic phone.. I was thinking of getting an 8GB Sandisk one, but if they dont work...

Upvote 0
Hmm :\ i guess you could try it, if it doesn't work, then maybe it's your SD Card, cause mines working perfectly fine, its unbranded, a 4GB card that came with my old Nokia 5530 XPressMusic phone.. I was thinking of getting an 8GB Sandisk one, but if they dont work...

Alright ill give it a try tomorrow, can not be arsed right now lol. :D Ill let you know how it goes when i have done it.

Upvote 0
My personal experience with this CyanogenMod:
1. The phone now runs marvelously smooth. Even faster than 2.1.
2. Apps2SD, USB tethering and a lot more Froyo things are available now, except for Flash Player
3. MP4 recording and FM Radio missing, many tiny bugs present (like sudden Force Closes)
4. Damn, CyanogenMod just rocks!!!

Just one more question, how can I add language fonts, coz it does have Hindi support???

Upvote 0
My personal experience with this CyanogenMod:
1. The phone now runs marvelously smooth. Even faster than 2.1.
2. Apps2SD, USB tethering and a lot more Froyo things are available now, except for Flash Player
3. MP4 recording and FM Radio missing, many tiny bugs present (like sudden Force Closes)
4. Damn, CyanogenMod just rocks!!!

Just one more question, how can I add language fonts, coz it does have Hindi support???

Yepp, everything's amazing, we wont get Flash player on the GT540 because the phone has an ARM v6 processor, which just isn't good enough for Flash, so that's not gonna happen :( MP4 and FM Radio are missing features that were meant to be added in future releases, but Quarx (the developer of the ROM) has stopped developing the ROM as his GT540 broke. But hopefully someone will continue his work! :D

Hmm, not too sure about the language fonts, I think if you download More2Locale from the Market, and set it to Hindi, it might work.. :D

Upvote 0
Hi,

I managed to update my phone with KDZ file. But I'm stuck now with CyanogenMod. My computer doesn't recognise my phone even though It's on fastboot mode.
My computer has window Vista OS and LG PC suite is installed on it.
I have tried several suggestions on the threads but still has no luck.

I skip the root and back up proses cos I just got my phone a week ago and I thought it won't be a problem.

Any idea please???

Thanks,
Ipung

Upvote 0
*Please make sure you read the instructions properly!! People are replying to this post saying the problems they're having when the answer is that they didn't read the post properly. If you are having problems, then refer back to the instructions and make sure you followed the steps EXACTLY as they're written. Thanks! :)

Make a backup of your 2.1 ROM before you update in case you want to go back to 2.1/you are having problems with 2.2. To do this, flash your phone with the fastboot ROM and install recovery via the instructions below, then go to recovery and make a backup of the current 2.1 ROM to restore back to if you have any problems :)

Update: Recovery is now included in the .zip file as an optional install, instructions are updated! :)

Quarx and ankuch from 4pda.ru are working on porting CyanogenMod 6.1 Android 2.2.1 to the LG GT540, it's available to download although it's still in beta stage so there are a few bugs in it.
Here's the list from the site saying what works and doesn't (I'll update this list as they do):
What's working: Wifi, GSM (Mobile Data), Camera (photo / video in 3GP), Bluetooth (receiving / sending files / HID), Video Codec (Hardware only H264), stereo audio to the headset, 3D accelerator, detectors, GPS / AGPS, navigate base stations, installing programs on a flash drive (Apps2SD).
What does not work: Fm-Radio, Camera (Video in H264/MP4), Codecs (XVID, DIVX)

Changelog:
Boot v1.5 & System v4.4 (approximately 19chislo):
CyanogenMod 6.1.2
Fixed operation of MMC.
Fixed loud svzya.
Fixed volume in the headset during a call.
Added support for IPv6 and tun.ko
Updated Google Apps ...
Counting the charge is now correct.
Adjusting the volume at off-screen. (Thanks syaupin , the firmware though slightly different keychar)
Key focus of the camera.
Fix retry ringtones.
Hosts for ad blocking.
Added Java Emulator
Skorocti may increase / stability GPRS/3G - not a test.

Boot v1.4 & System v4.3:
Codecs - H264 c hardware acceleration .... others must work in software.
Added support for camera with video recording has a problem.
Bluetooth works for file transfer, the reception is not working. Audio transmission is not tested (no headset)
Launcher by default from 2.2.1
Effects of the screen work again.
Lock screen during incoming and outgoing calls.
Added HomeSelector
Was converted video subsystem that may fall in the benchmark results.

Boot v1.3 & System v4.2:
Codecs - Maybe not all videos will play without the player - at the stage of testing.
Returned RootExplorer
Fix the headset button
ADW replaced by the Launcher from 2.3.
Correction of 3D and 600MHz.
Stereo audio to the headset.
Update CM to 6.1.1
Added support for additional languages.
Boot v1.1 & System v4.1:

Added support for GPS / AGPS, navigate to the base stations.
WiFi is now activated and works immediately.
USB flash drive is mounted correctly. Condition: FAT must be the first.
Added the ability to install software on a flash drive.
Profile frequency control - ONDEMAND.

Buglist:
1. If the flash drive, for whatever reason, does not mount, then through the ADB, give the command: "mount-t vfat-o utf8, umask = 000, rw / dev/block/mmcblk0p1 / sdcard" and then "Settings / Memory / SD-Connect card .
2. Posle use USB-drive, flash drive does not automatically mount: a solution to in paragraph 1, or simply restart the device.
3. Reboot in Recovery menu does not work.
4. Synchronise with PC Suite will not work
5. Adobe Flash Player does not work! only FlashLite works!

Make sure you follow the instructions exactly as they're written. As always, with flashing your phone, there's always the risk of bricking your phone. I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your phone because of flashing custom firmware. But I will do my best to try and help you with any problems you might encounter :)

To install this ROM you need to have fastboot enabled on your phone. If you have Android 1.6/2.1 installed from LG, then fastboot is not enabled. I will explain how to enable fastboot on your phone (this involves re-flashing/replacing your currently installed firmware):

KDZ Updater CarphoneWarehouse Unlocked.zip - A link to a zip archive with all the files needed to flash Android version 2.1 with fastboot (Carphone Warehouse Unlocked)

KDZ Updater Europe Open.zip - A link to a zip archive with all the files needed to flash Android version 2.1 with fastboot (Europe Open)

Download the version that best applies to you, if you live in the UK, I'd recommend you download the Carphone Warehouse Unlocked version, whereas if you live in Europe, I'd recommend the Europe Open version (simple right? ;) )

Now, how to flash these versions; I'll explain in detail how to flash the ROM's from starting with backing up.

Instructions to install ROM with Fastboot:
1. Before you start, make sure you backup all your data by installing the z4root.1.3.0.apk file onto your phone, then open it and choose 'Permanent Root'. Your phone will root and reboot. Then go to the Market and install 'MyBackup Root', open it and do a backup of your apps and personal data (contacts, sms, call log etc.) Once this is done, go to Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage>Unmount SD Card, a notification in the notification bar should appear saying 'SD Card safe to remove'. Remove the battery cover and remove the SD card and store it in a safe place. Then continue to step 2.

2. Extract the .zip file you downloaded to your computer (e.g. your desktop). Open the folder and install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi).

3. Once that has finished, install LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver1.0_All_Win7.exe which are the drivers so your computer will recognize your phone. Windows XP Users download this driver, extract the contents anywhere (e.g. desktop), right-click on the 'android_usb.inf' file and click 'Install'.

4. Next, open KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
(i) Change 'Type' to '3GQCT' *THIS IS A MUST, THE UPDATE WILL NOT WORK OTHERWISE AND YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE*
(ii) Make sure 'PhoneMode' is set to 'DIAG'
(iii) Browse for the 'V20B_00+Fastboot.kdz' file.

5. Prepare the phone by enabling USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development>Enable USB Debugging and connect the phone to the computer via USB cable and wait for the drivers to install for the phone.

6. Click 'Launch software update' and do not use your computer until the update is complete. The update will take roughly 10-20 mins to complete.

Instructions to install CyanogenMod:
Once the update is complete, your phone will reboot, what you need to do is power off the phone and whilst the phone is off, press and hold the 'Camera' button all the way and power on the phone, make sure you hold the 'Camera' button. The phone will display the LG logo and disappear, then display a blank screen. The phone is now in fastboot mode! :D

Now you want to download this file: Flashing CyanogenMod.zip and extract it to a folder called 'Android' (without the quotes '') on the C: drive (you'll probably need to make this folder yourself.

1. Now open CMD with administrator privileges (Search for CMD in the start menu and right click on 'cmd' and click 'Run as Administrator' )

2. Connect the phone to your computer via USB cable and wait for the necessary drivers to install.

3. Then go back to the cmd window and type:
Code:
cd  C:\Android

(i) Then type:
Code:
fastboot.exe -w

(ii) Once that's completed, type:
Code:
fastboot.exe erase system

(iii) Once that's completed, type:
Code:
fastboot.exe flash system system.img

(iv) Once that's completed, type:
Code:
fastboot.exe flash boot boot.img

(v) Once that's completed, type:
Code:
fastboot.exe reboot

(v) To install recovery (optional) type:
Code:
fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_swift.img

4. Your phone will now reboot with CyanogenMod 6.1.1 (Android 2.2.1). The first boot might take longer than a normal boot.

5. You can now re-insert your SD card and go to Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage>Mount SD Card

Enjoy!

The instructions for flashing both the firmware with fastboot and flashing CyanogenMod are included in the zip archives called 'Readme'. I'll update the links so that you'll always have the most up to date version of CyanogenMod available for download, note that if you choose to update your phone you will loose all your data including apps etc. so backup before you update :)

Original post: LG GT540 -

Upvote 0
Hi,

I managed to update my phone with KDZ file. But I'm stuck now with CyanogenMod. My computer doesn't recognise my phone even though It's on fastboot mode.
My computer has window Vista OS and LG PC suite is installed on it.
I have tried several suggestions on the threads but still has no luck.

I skip the root and back up proses cos I just got my phone a week ago and I thought it won't be a problem.

Any idea please???

Thanks,
Ipung

Did you install the drivers that came in the KDZ Updater .zip file?

Upvote 0
Well im still having problems with my MMS setup. Im running these settings atm,

Name: Tesco MMS
APN: prepay.tesco-mobile.com
Proxy: 193.113.200.195
Port: 8080
Username: tescowap
Password: tescowap
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: default,supl,mms

Now i can send MMS messages no problem, and receive them, i just cannt see the attachments, pic,vid's or files that come attached. Yeah i tried those other APN settings and they didnt work at all. Maybe i have some setting set incorrectly somewhere?
Also is it possible to set up the data settings to connect and recieve MMS ONLY and not connect the internet?
Apart from this i'm loving it, after installing setcpu it runs real sweet, yeah i get the odd stall or something but even then, it so much better than 2.1.

Here are some pics
ScreenShot-1.png
ScreenShot.png

AnDrawing_1296606512214.png

Upvote 0
Well im still having problems with my MMS setup. Im running these settings atm,

Name: Tesco MMS
APN: prepay.tesco-mobile.com
Proxy: 193.113.200.195
Port: 8080
Username: tescowap
Password: tescowap
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: default,supl,mms

Now i can send MMS messages no problem, and receive them, i just cannt see the attachments, pic,vid's or files that come attached. Yeah i tried those other APN settings and they didnt work at all. Maybe i have some setting set incorrectly somewhere?
Also is it possible to set up the data settings to connect and recieve MMS ONLY and not connect the internet?
Apart from this i'm loving it, after installing setcpu it runs real sweet, yeah i get the odd stall or something but even then, it so much better than 2.1.

Here are some pics
ScreenShot-1.png

ScreenShot.png

AnDrawing_1296606512214.png

Hmm, I can receive MMS fine.. maybe it's a problem on Tesco's end.. Try sending and receiving an MMS with the same SIM in a different phone..

Upvote 0
to run dugeon defender, u first need to get 2 pro applications, Swapper and Set CPU

1- Open Swapper
2- check activate swap on boot
3- Swap file position on SD Card FAT Partition
4- set size 2 600mb
5 - reboot phone
6 - once its back up let it create swapfile
7 - when its done explore ur sd card and check for a swap file if its there move on tostep 8 ifits not redo from step 1 to step 6
8 - Open Set Cpu
9- agree with everything and grant root acess
10-go on info tab scrool downuntillu see Swap total, should be around 600mb. if go to step 11
11 - on main tab set to 729 mhz check set on boot
12 - RebootPhone
13 install Dungeon Defenders on internal Memory NOT SD
14 - PLAY THE GAME

Can you explain this more clearly please?
I been trying to follow these and it confuses me :<
I can't set it too 600mb.. it goes to 256mb..
And what do you mean "Swap file position on SD Card FAT Partition"?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Did you install the drivers that came in the KDZ Updater .zip file?

Yep, I installed msxml.msi and the [FONT=&quot]LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver1.0_All_Win7.exe[/FONT] as well.

Eventhough I reinstalled those drivers again my computer still doesn't recognise my phone when it's on fastboot mode.

Is there any other LG driver which might works?

Thanks very much for the help Dudeman!
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Upvote 0
Yep, I installed msxml.msi and the [FONT=&quot]LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver1.0_All_Win7.exe[/FONT] as well.

Eventhough I reinstalled those drivers again my computer still doesn't recognise my phone when it's on fastboot mode.

Is there any other LG driver which might works?

Thanks very much for the help Dudeman!
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Have you tried a different usb socket? ie if your using a front socket use a rear one or visa versa.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I can receive MMS fine.. maybe it's a problem on Tesco's end.. Try sending and receiving an MMS with the same SIM in a different phone..

Yeah have done that, its works fine. Im sure im receiving the mms as i have to download them, its just i cannt view them when they are downloaded.

BTW what phone settings (not APN settings) do you have for your MMS, if yours works may be mine are wrong somewhere?

Upvote 0
Have you tried a different usb socket? ie if your using a front socket use a rear one or visa versa.

I tried the all four USB sockets in my computer and every single one asked the phone driver to be installed. I browse from the ZIP file which I extracted or window automatic update but both of them were failed to provide the driver.

For more information, previously I upgraded my phone with Baltic V10D KDZ.
I'm just wondering if it effects the CyanogenMod installation.

I hope someone had the same problem as me and already solved the problem :thinking:

Cheers guys!

Upvote 0
I'm experiencing new problems:
1. After clicking photos I'm stuck. The Camera just hangs up at the photo and when I return to Gallery, there are no photos. This continues even when I reboot my phone. I reflashed CM couple of times and each time, after using camera for 4-5 times this error repeats. Is this a bug? I'm sick of this.
2. Sometimes the SD Card automatically unmounts even when everything is fine and there's no problem with the SD card.
2. When I try to backup using ClockWorkMod everything remains fine, but when it comes to 'Generating md5 sum', there comes an error 'Error generating md5sum'. I cannot understand what's happening with my phone now?

Upvote 0
I tried the all four USB sockets in my computer and every single one asked the phone driver to be installed. I browse from the ZIP file which I extracted or window automatic update but both of them were failed to provide the driver.

For more information, previously I upgraded my phone with Baltic V10D KDZ.
I'm just wondering if it effects the CyanogenMod installation.

I hope someone had the same problem as me and already solved the problem :thinking:

Cheers guys!

Hi mate have you checked that all firewalls are turned off
I had this problem. Also go to device manager and make sure
that the driver is enabled.

Cheers. Lee

Upvote 0
Yeah have done that, its works fine. Im sure im receiving the mms as i have to download them, its just i cannt view them when they are downloaded.

BTW what phone settings (not APN settings) do you have for your MMS, if yours works may be mine are wrong somewhere?

Hmm, in the settings for messages, scroll down to the MMS Settings, is auto-retrieve on?

Upvote 0
Hi mate have you checked that all firewalls are turned off
I had this problem. Also go to device manager and make sure
that the driver is enabled.

Cheers. Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the info but still has no luck. I think I have enough trying to install the Cyanogenmod.
My phone is running android 2.1 anyway. So isn't that bad.
I hope the newer android version will be available soon for GT 540 and I have more luck for that.

Cheers guys:)

Upvote 0
hi u need a driver i have it but dont know how to put it on here an i cant remember where i found it but if u find it or somwone knows how i can get it from my desktop to here let me know anyway if u find it u unplug ur phone from pc when u enter fastboot an plu it back in an u will get a found new hardware prompt an then u direct it to find the driver and install it hope this is some help i was stuck with this issue myself

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones