1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CyanogenMod RC2 3G Switch Is Awesome

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by altimax98, Jul 27, 2010.

1. altimax98

altimax98 Android Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2010
    Geico Insurance Agent
    Lakeland Fl
    To whoever came up with the idea for a 3G switch your a genius. The #1 reason to use this rom. I had battery problems on my phone before and it was annoying how in a few hours i would lose all battery and would have to charge.

But now thats all changed, I just hit the switch when I need to sync or use web and its saved me so much battery. I used my phone just like normal today.. a bunch of texting, about 30 mins of web time, some sega genesis emulator time and about 15min talk time and I only used 20% of my battery from 9am to 5pm.

K-9 mail sees that the 3G is off so it stops polling and immediatly polls when its reconnected and within 1 minute, my facebook, twitter, email and news apps all sync up. I love it :)

Thank you guys!!!!!

PS- the switch is in the Power Controller Widget

Advertisement

2. tom108

tom108 Android Expert

it is a nice feature. CM roms always have new little surprises like that.

3. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Newbie

Jul 20, 2010
    is the 3g switch the same thing as juice defender's APN off toggle ? or the setting that allows data to connect at a specific intervals ?

4. csoga

csoga Member

May 12, 2010
    Yessiree, it is awesome...

I just updated to CM RC2 today, and already had the Power Widget on my homescreen. When it rebooted the first time, I noticed the new switch and had a sneaking suspicion what it was and that it would help my battery life!

We'll know tomorrow about this time. :)

5. tom108

tom108 Android Expert

just a switch built into the power control widget.

6. emdmao

emdmao Android Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2009
    It is a very cool feature. I have used it here and there. Tomorrow I'm going to try it out for the whole day and see what kind of difference it makes.

I don't know if there is a suggestion area for CM (didn't see it on their website) but it would also be cool if they could add a switch to toggle between 3g and 1x for times when I want to receive emails immediately. Switching to 1x should save a good amount of battery compared to 3g also.

7. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Newbie

Jul 20, 2010

i mean does it serve the same purpose as juice defender shutting down internet connectivity? resulting in the same power savings.

8. tom108

tom108 Android Expert

yes but done manually. :)

Kerplunk likes this.
  9. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    I tried it all of my work day yesterday and didn't notice much of a difference. However, the past couple days I've been noticing my battery just being demolished so fast. I'm trying to find the source of it now :thinking:

10. minger

minger Lurker

Jul 13, 2010
    any chance its possible to pull this off for use in other roms? Insanely clean + this would be perfect for me.

11. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would love to see Cyanogen and his team turn this into something like JD. I love JD but it is starting to get a little buggy (in terms of wifi location mostly). Implementing it as part of the actual ROM would make the functionality work better IMHO.