1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General Damn Battery charging!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by damnitpud, Oct 20, 2008.

1. damnitpud

damnitpud Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I did a google search to see if i should charge the phone when i get it or if i should just play with it! Well the verdict is charge it for 5-6 hours before playing with it! Damn you Lithium ion batteries!!!

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Cell-Phone-Battery-Last-Longer

Initialize a new battery. New batteries should be fully charged before their first use to obtain maximum capacity. Lithium ion batteries should be charged for about 5-6 hours. Ignore the phone telling you that the battery is full--this is normal but is not accurate if the battery is not initialized. #DO NOT fully discharge a lithium-ion battery! lithium-ion batteries' life is shortened every time you fully discharge them. Instead, charge them when the battery meter shows one bar left. Lithium-ion batteries, like most rechargable batteries have a set amount of chargers in them

Lithium ion batteries, on the other hand, do not suffer from the same memory effect. However, many devices that use lithium batteries have a battery meter, showing the user how much charge the battery has left. Starting with a battery's manufacture at the factory, lithium ions oxidize in the battery, shortening its life. After a certain amount of time, the battery exhibits slightly different electronic properties, which the device can only detect when the battery is discharged. This type of problem is known as a "virtual memory effect" and occurs when your battery meter can show a high charge, then suddenly drop to low charge when the battery is almost dead. Every thirty cumulative cycles, you should discharge lithium ion batteries until the phone gives a low battery warning, then recharge it. If you discharge lithium ion batteries to zero voltage, the internal safety circuit may open. In that case, a normal charger will be inadequate. Reconditioning ensures that the battery meter on a lithium ion cellphone is accurate (although it will not affect actual battery capacity).

Advertisement

2. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Pffft. Lies. I run some major high-power R/C cars with all sorts of battery chemistries (NiMH, NiCd, LiION, LiPo, LiFe) and this stuff I read about cell phone batteries just makes me giggle. The only thing that's true is that it takes a few ( 5 or so) cycles to get to full capacity. Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!

3. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2008
    SharePoint Architect
    St. Louis, MO
    Sleebus,

So are you saying we don't have to wait for the first charge?

4. blackeyedbrian

Oct 15, 2008
    There's nothing stopping you from playing with it while its charging.

5. cNo7

cNo7 Guest

RTFM for battery questions. sheesh. :p

6. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I would have no problem in playing with it while it's charging. Personally, I'd just fire it up and use it, but the batteries generally only ship with half a charge (which is an industry accepted stable charge level that prolongs the life of the battery while in storage) so it won't last that long. I intend to pick mine up during lunch, fire it up in the car on the way back to work and stick it on charge when I get to work. Actually, I have a car charger, so I'll hit it there, just so it'll last through the couple of meetings I have to be in.

7. kekky

kekky Member

Sep 26, 2008
    i've charged mine for only about 40 minutes and started using it already. i doubt theres any damage done there.

8. from what I been reading.. 1 full charge (nomore than 24 hours) & then let the phone completely die_ Then another full charge.
    -Its better to do small charges v.s long charges
    *long charges tend to make the battery heat which shortens battery life

Tags: