• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Damn Battery charging!

damnitpud

Sep 3, 2008
I did a google search to see if i should charge the phone when i get it or if i should just play with it! Well the verdict is charge it for 5-6 hours before playing with it! Damn you Lithium ion batteries!!!

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Cell-Phone-Battery-Last-Longer

Initialize a new battery. New batteries should be fully charged before their first use to obtain maximum capacity. Lithium ion batteries should be charged for about 5-6 hours. Ignore the phone telling you that the battery is full--this is normal but is not accurate if the battery is not initialized. #DO NOT fully discharge a lithium-ion battery! lithium-ion batteries' life is shortened every time you fully discharge them. Instead, charge them when the battery meter shows one bar left. Lithium-ion batteries, like most rechargable batteries have a set amount of chargers in them

Lithium ion batteries, on the other hand, do not suffer from the same memory effect. However, many devices that use lithium batteries have a battery meter, showing the user how much charge the battery has left. Starting with a battery's manufacture at the factory, lithium ions oxidize in the battery, shortening its life. After a certain amount of time, the battery exhibits slightly different electronic properties, which the device can only detect when the battery is discharged. This type of problem is known as a "virtual memory effect" and occurs when your battery meter can show a high charge, then suddenly drop to low charge when the battery is almost dead. Every thirty cumulative cycles, you should discharge lithium ion batteries until the phone gives a low battery warning, then recharge it. If you discharge lithium ion batteries to zero voltage, the internal safety circuit may open. In that case, a normal charger will be inadequate. Reconditioning ensures that the battery meter on a lithium ion cellphone is accurate (although it will not affect actual battery capacity).

Sleebus,

So are you saying we don't have to wait for the first charge?

I would have no problem in playing with it while it's charging. Personally, I'd just fire it up and use it, but the batteries generally only ship with half a charge (which is an industry accepted stable charge level that prolongs the life of the battery while in storage) so it won't last that long. I intend to pick mine up during lunch, fire it up in the car on the way back to work and stick it on charge when I get to work. Actually, I have a car charger, so I'll hit it there, just so it'll last through the couple of meetings I have to be in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones