• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data drops, requires reboot

LeoBloom

Dec 21, 2010
I don't understand how this happens or how to properly phrase it because I can't seem to find much on this problem. Occasionally, but often enough to be annoying, the phone can't seem to achieve a data connection. I will have full bars on the phone but the 3G or 1X icon that is normally there on my Droid is not present, and I cannot do anything data related. Attempting to connect to the market in this state instantly gives me this: "a network error has occurred. retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen." Attempting to launch my browser I cannot load any page. I can switch over to wifi, but switching back does not remedy the problem. Only rebooting brings the data connection back. I was wondering if more of you were experiencing this, if any of you know a shortcut to fix it because rebooting takes too damn long.

Thanks

I've seen this happen back when I had Android 1.6 and my HTC Magic. I can't do anything but reboot it. I've seen this happen also on the Xperia X10, which was shipped with Android 1.6.

I've seen it happen a couple of times with my Nexus S when it was new. Since then it has gone away.

I've owned other Android phones and most of them never went through this at all.

Upvote 0
My girlfriends phone (MyTouch4G) just went through the same thing. Ended up having to reset the phone totally to get connection back. Then my sister-in-law's phone (Epic 4G) did it today. Rebooted a couple times and just let it sit and finally it came back to normal as well. Not quite sure what is causing the issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones