• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dead battery (looks like)

gunthergloop

Lurker
Dec 12, 2012
I have a Note 10.1 since around October of last year. A few days ago the battery suddenly drained and won't recharge. When I plug it in it recognises that it's plugged in but the charge stays at 1%. I've tried it attached to the pc and it's the same there. Also same whether it's switched on or not. When off, it shows the "battery recharging" animation onscreen, then goes off, then the animation comes on again.

I've ordered a new cable but it does seem like the battery itself to me since even when plugged in, if I run a power-hungry app -such as Sims, which my daughter plays- it seems to drain more than charge, giving warnings and/or shutting down.

My main problem is it's rooted with multiple users via switchme, so if I send it back to Samsung I'm guessing they'll say it's not covered under warranty for this reason (?). I'm not sure I'll be able to wipe & restore the firmware at such a small power percentage even when plugged in -and I'm not eager to try it for this reason.

So, any idea what my options are? I'm in Ireland. I have no idea how to go about this... Any suggestions?

Yes, phew. The new cord arrived yesterday (hard to find one that doesn't look like a cheap knock-off) and yes the charge started going up immediately!

So relieved. :)

Why do Samsung supply only such short cables in the first place -and why would it go bad like that within a year if it was made properly in the first place (and not mis-treated -as it wasn't)?

Upvote 0
Yes, phew. The new cord arrived yesterday (hard to find one that doesn't look like a cheap knock-off) and yes the charge started going up immediately!

So relieved. :)

Why do Samsung supply only such short cables in the first place -and why would it go bad like that within a year if it was made properly in the first place (and not mis-treated -as it wasn't)?

I added a usb cable extension between the ac adapter and the supplied cable. Not sure of technical name for this but it has male end on one side and female end on the other. Works great and is a cheap solution. Absolutely no charging issues.

Upvote 0
I added a usb cable extension between the ac adapter and the supplied cable. Not sure of technical name for this but it has male end on one side and female end on the other. Works great and is a cheap solution. Absolutely no charging issues.

I tried this with a number of usb extenders but none of them worked. Not all extenders carry the power charge. I was even aware of this at the time I was searching for one but had no luck with the 3 or more that I bought (and one that I had already). Obviously you fared better. I don't suppose you have the brand of cable or a source (link) from where you got it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones