• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Debating RETURNING my galaxy s3 over this group text issue

I have a group conversation with 8 people, basically like an email chain. Not all are ios users, but when I had the iphone basically every response was threaded, and when I sent a message, it would go to the group thread. now when I reply, it goes to every person individually

Hey man, I understand your frustration. Dont let the fanboys get to you. I enjoy android phones but I could careless about the battle between Apple and android. I just want the best user experience. You are justified in your frustration with group messenging (I am to, but not enough to return the phone) since you are the consumer you should get whatever you wants that makes you happy. The app I use for group messages is Handcent. Its not as smooth, becuase when a group text comes in you have to hit download, but the text goes to the group, and when you respond the entire group gets it, not individually.

Upvote 0
I use Go SMS Pro and it works well.

When I get a text from someone to a group (some people are iPhone, some are Blackberry) I get a notification as a message from them, but then a couple seconds later I get another notification and it moves it into it's own thread and lists all of the people included.

If I click on the thread I will see all of the messages from different people and if I start typing like a normal text it will send it to everyone listed unless I specify otherwise.

IMO this is exactly how a group text should work (except for the double notification). You DO need to enable this, it isn't a default setting. See post #18 above.

Upvote 0
One last thing about this. All apps like GroupMe, Whatsapp, Powwow, etc are all fine and can do the job with one flaw. They only work if you are the one starting the group. If someone else starts a group text with different members then you are back to square 1.

I'm not seeing the problem? If someone starts a new "group chat" - then it is for lack of a better word just another chat room with different people involved, what square one do you see this as being back too?

Upvote 0
I use Go SMS Pro and it works well.

When I get a text from someone to a group (some people are iPhone, some are Blackberry) I get a notification as a message from them, but then a couple seconds later I get another notification and it moves it into it's own thread and lists all of the people included.

If I click on the thread I will see all of the messages from different people and if I start typing like a normal text it will send it to everyone listed unless I specify otherwise.

IMO this is exactly how a group text should work (except for the double notification). You DO need to enable this, it isn't a default setting. See post #18 above.

Handcent works in a similar fashion, except you have to hit download as opposed to waiting a couple seconds. Everything else works for the group and you can see the whole thread as a group and respond to the group. If they could ever just get it to work flawlessly that would be awesome.

Upvote 0
Handcent works in a similar fashion, except you have to hit download as opposed to waiting a couple seconds. Everything else works for the group and you can see the whole thread as a group and respond to the group. If they could ever just get it to work flawlessly that would be awesome.
Yeah I don't get them often enough for it to really bug me at all. Definitely not something I would return my phone over.

Upvote 0
I'm not seeing the problem? If someone starts a new "group chat" - then it is for lack of a better word just another chat room with different people involved, what square one do you see this as being back too?

If a friend of mine who deosnt have Groupme starts a new group text with other people, then it doesnt involve groupme at all. Thus you are back to square one because the text will come through your regular sms service as opposed to Groupme

Upvote 0

FYI there is a setting in handcent to auto-download MMS, works for the group messages. You will still get the double notification, once when it initially hits, and another once it downloads and sorts to the group list. I'm still holding out hope that the next iteration of android included native functionality as it really bogs down the phone as is.

Upvote 0
If a friend of mine who deosnt have Groupme starts a new group text with other people, then it doesnt involve groupme at all. Thus you are back to square one because the text will come through your regular sms service as opposed to Groupme

Eh - I suppose so and I'm not sure there really is a solution as long your looking for something that works cross-platform with as little added software as possible.

Honestly I don't really regard it that big of deal as it wouldn't be that difficult to shift the conversation to GroupME or better yet get my group sold on GroupME (or your service of choice) so that is what they use to chat with a group.

Upvote 0
My wife and daughter both complain to me about group sms with iphone users. They both use GoSMS. It looks like all of the pertinent settings are correct as per the link in post #18 above. The only thing different is that it is set for popup notifications. Can't imagine that would matter, or could it?

I've seen the double notification, but it also seems as if they have to click download each time. Are all you people using go SMS not having that issue?

Upvote 0
Negative. If you hit reply all it sends your response to each individual as a separate text and not as a group. So each person thinks you are responding to them and not the group setting. Shame that google hasnt figured this out yet.

Forgive me for misunderstanding the original concept then. I thought the issue was just getting the message out to each individual, not maintaining it all in one location.

My wife and daughter both complain to me about group sms with iphone users. They both use GoSMS. It looks like all of the pertinent settings are correct as per the link in post #18 above. The only thing different is that it is set for popup notifications. Can't imagine that would matter, or could it?

I've seen the double notification, but it also seems as if they have to click download each time. Are all you people using go SMS not having that issue?

That duplicated notification can be removed by turning off notifications in the stock messaging app, thus only allowing GoSMS to notify you when a message has been received (SMS/MMS).

Upvote 0
Forgive me for misunderstanding the original concept then. I thought the issue was just getting the message out to each individual, not maintaining it all in one location.

That duplicated notification can be removed by turning off notifications in the stock messaging app, thus only allowing GoSMS to notify you when a message has been received (SMS/MMS).

The double notification he is referring to is withing the Go SMS/Handscent app. It receives an MMS from User X in the group chat as an individual text. Upon understanding it is part of the group chat it merges the text into that group thread.and Notifies once again.

Upvote 0
My wife insists that I participate in group texting with her and other iphone users. Here is how you do it. Download Handcent from Play market. Open and go to Menu, Settings, Application Settings. Select "Default Messaging Application" and select "All" then go "back" to last menu. Then scroll all the way down and select "Thread Group Conversation". Now back out to main settings menu. Select "Receive Message Settings" and check "Auto retrieve" and "Auto Download". Now that should get things going on Handcent. Then open up the stock messaging app and then menu, settings and turn off "Notifications". Else you will get duplicate notifications. Remove the stock messaging icon from home screen bar and replace with Handcent. I know a lot of work for something that Android should already do. I am sure it's a patent thing. BTW I am on AT&T with a GS3 running

Upvote 0
I got all my BB and iPhone friends to install WhatsApp. I know it sucks trying to get a bunch of people to install a new app for texting but once I got through that part, the group chatting in WhatsApp is great. I was a former BB user and it's like BBM as it uses data and not SMS so that's not a problem for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones