• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps debugging source not found!?

creatiive

Lurker
Jan 14, 2010
hey

i having a problem but it might just be because im used to visual studio and not eclipse.... When stepping over my code in debug, the following method causes a screen to come up saying "source not found" and no helpful debug information about what the actual problem is! The method is;

public Cursor fetchAllDrinks() {
return mDb.query(DATABASE_TABLE, new String[] {KEY_ROWID, KEY_NAME, KEY_BLURB}, null, null, null, null, null);

}

Any help would be greatly appriciated!! I assume that this statement is causing an error and that it cant step in to the code for the query method, but i just want to know whats going wrong here and cant seem to get any helpful info back!

Its stepping into an Android system call that is not part of the SDK, only a prototype reference. It can't show you the internal code.

You can download the code but its much larger than the SDK. There are references on the internet on how to connect the two so you can debug it.

Generally you don't need this level of detail unless your fighting a bug lower in the OS stack. Its possible ... but its usually because you passed a null pointer which shouldn't have been null .. or something like that.

Upvote 0
i see. Well that helped, thanks. I found the reason for the problem - the database was already created earlier when i didnt have all 3 columns that i was passing in to the method - i have since deleted the DB that the emulator uses and recreated it and this now works fine. Thanks again.

However, this has now been replaced by an even more bizzare error! I step through all of my code and everything appears to work fine. I get right to the end of the OnCreate method for that activity now, and once i step over the very last brace i get;

Instrumentation.class

Class File Error; Source not found.
The jar of this class file belongs to container 'Android 1.1' which does not allow modifications to source attachments on its entries.

... wtf? My code throws up no errors and then this comes up..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones