• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Definitions for a Noob

jeffpzy

Dec 17, 2011
Hey all,
I picked up my Skyrocket last Thursday for $99. I moved from an iPhone 3G and so far I am thrilled with the choice. I will post in the former iPhone users thread later.

I've done a ton of reading on the forums over the last couple of months but am still feeling a bit lacking in some knowledge.

Questions are:
1. What exactly is a nandroid backup?
2. If I flash a new rom what is the best way? I'm assuming there are multiple ways?
3. Going back to stock via Odin. Does that get me back to the out of box experience? Then all I do is restore apps from backup?

Help is appreciated as through the reading some of this stuff is still not clear.

Thanks Mr. Ed. I know what rooting is and I actually have already seen that thread you point out. Problem is there doesn't seem to be a ton of information in it.

What is rom manager and how is it used?
How is it different from clockwork mod recovery? How is that used?
Is a nandroid backup just a rooted backup of the apps you have on the device?
Does flashing back to stock mean out of box?

I feel I get some of the basic concepts but lack the specifics to actually get it done. For example: Would you use both CWM and rom manager on the same device? Do they accomplish different goals?

I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
I will look into that as I thought all of that was explained or at least most of it (clicking the topics reveals subject matter)

Rom manager is simply a way of accessing CWM

On some devices it can be a portal for roms and updates.. not outs

A nandroid is a safe restore carbon copy of EVERYTHING at that point in time
^very important to make nandroids

Typically yes...flashing back to stock is back to stock unrooted clean slate

In our case we have options

1. Flash stock recovery , still rooted but lose CWM
2. Flash stock from
3. Complete unroot back to stock

Reactions: Midiman and jeffpzy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones