• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Delete google contacts both ways?

bone

Aug 26, 2009
My Hero did sync "all" my google contacts. Also every one i've ever sent an email to.

So, i found out i can sync only one group. Therefore i made a group for the contacts that i want on my phone.

But, how do i delete the contacts already one the phone that i don want. Without deleting them on my google contact as soon as i sync?

If you have deselected all but the one group from your Google synchronizing groups (in People -- groups -- Menu -- Sync Groups), the extraneous entries in your phone should not appear or be synchronized. If the group is not selected, it's not part of the sync.

One thing I don't understand is why you're still seeing the extra entries. When I deselected the All group and just selected My Contacts, all of the other entries disappeared from the phone.

Upvote 0
Now i've tried to create some new groups on the phone, just to play around a little to see what happens.
But i cant seem to sync with google anymore. I have gotten the "sync not available, back shortly" error for some time now.

I have finally got it to work.

First, i had to solve the problem not being able to sync. To do that i went to settings->programms->administer->contacts. Here i cleared all data (will delete all contacts on phone)

Now i could sync again, but still got all the email contacts on my phone also. And now i was missing the option to choose seperate groups. Everything google was gone. I could only create phone and sim contacts. So...

Second, i went back to settings->programms->administer->Google apps, and cleared all data here as well. Then i went to settings->datasync->google, where i was asked to re enter my google login.

All this resulted in the returning of google options to my contacts. So i could finally choose specifik groups that i wanted to sync. And VOILA

Its weired, when i pressed "menu" while i was in contacts. I had several different options, before re entering my google info. There was even a "more" button, wich besides others gave me the option to sync with google.
But after clearing the data of google apps, that button is gone.

Android is great, but it seems that too many different people put their options in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones