• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Deleted Media Store data now Playlists not saving & 3RD party camera applications delayed

Look, I do not want to update. If you are shocked I am 2 OS updates behind you didn't read my initial post where I state my OS.

I plan to factory reset after work tomorrow, I have spent time manually backing-up my bookmarks and anything I can. This is my first time doing this and I would prefer answers to my questions as I am very high anxiety over this instead of criticism. I am very aware of the more limited lifespan still using Android K, but it's what I want. I will eventually be getting a pablet with Marshmallow on it, but KitKat is what I want to remain on this device. I am aware of how to update if I wished to do so on this device.

I am worried about an OTA update if I have my data SIM card in until I turn-off the setting for auto-update.

You misunderstood me. I didn't realize that MM was available for your device. Lollipop.... I can understand.
You say on one hand that you don't want to root for warranty purposes, yet you avoid important updates that keep the phone safe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I asked about the SIM card because I accept that my tinkering caused this problem and I am paying the price, and I would rather not cause another issue by going with my gut if it is wrong again.

But you have made me less uncertain because of telling me I should leave it in but then being adamant I update. So I don't know whether to trust to leave it in or not and how that will effect the possibility of an OTA update being forced/downloaded. I know my risks and such, and again that I am shortening this device's longevity. Whether to update or not, or how to update is not my question. My question is how to prevent an update until I can turn auto-updates off in the settings. Please do not give me false information in order to get your preferred update outcome.

Upvote 0
If you are referring to the OTA update. As in updating to a newer Android version. This can only be done with your consent. As far as the updates to your applications. Skip signing in to Google from setup Wizard. Sign in from the settings>accounts menu. Immediately open Playstore and in settings select, do not auto update. Then select my apps and stop any updates that have started. You probably should not use Kies because it will automatically install the newest Firmware. I'm not criticizing you. I am trying to look out for your interests. The reason Rooting and installing custom firmware exists is for situations such as this.

Upvote 0
Welp it did fix the camera issues. And S Health can be installed on Bluestacks 2 but crashes immediately if you try to log-in. Anyway, the Playlists still aren't saving. Still empty 1969 made files if I search for the title of a playlist created in Music. However I learned other programs can seem to read that I have playlists and can play them, but I can't actually back-up or see the files. I don't know what to do about it.

AND I turned-off mobile data and didn't connect any Wi-Fi until after I turned the auto-update off, but I noticed when I turned my device on today some "Software Update" is trying to download? It fails if I turn Wi-Fi off and says I need to turn it on or disable Wi-Fi only. It tries to start again if I turn Wi-Fi back on, but I can stop the process from Applications. I can only clear the cache of the "Software Update" application though and can't disable or force stop it or clear data. Here is a screenshot of the process screen for it:
Screenshot_2016-07-25-18-19-04.png

Upvote 0
It doesn't give an option to accept it or not :-(

Also I did try to find a playlist exporter type application but if the 2 more promising ones one only does to .TXT and the other to its own .m3u_bck or some such. Renaming it to change the extension to just .M3U does not make it playable. But both could read the playlists.

Upvote 0
I entered recovery mode to clear the cache partition. As soon as recivery mode started "installing system update" was on the screen a moment. But it gave some message about a command. I cleared cache partition (which was successful) and selected reboot now and it had some error text but did reboot. Software Updates started again as soon as Wi-Fi connected. It was up to 18MB before I stopped it. It took stopping the process a few times to remove the "downloading updates" notification this time.

Upvote 0
PowerAmp can read & export them to .M3U and ignores playlists in file folders (like for an album). No idea why Music is no longer saving them. So at least I found a way to back them up to .TXT & .M3U in case I ever make work playlists (I call it "safe music" because it has to be fine to play in a museum open to the public & I often can't use headphones), or the "Lifeline" playlist I was making. Now just to deal with the Software Update. On searching playlists made in default music players on Android often seem to save to a database instead of a like .PLA so no idea why mine was and then stopped even after a factory reset.

Upvote 0
Though besides from the update notification I have noticed such an improvement the last 2 days. And after some trouble getting my Samsung Account to update, my S Health data actually was alright in full. Though my Samsung Account only seemed to have backed-up 3 contacts and was over a week behind in SMS despite my manually forcing a sync right before I factory reset. Luckily Helium had my missing SMS and Super Back-up had a list of my contacts (which wouldn't restore for some reason) so I had to enter all 78 again (I forgot that Contacts itself can export a file and the one I had was almost a year old). AND Samsung Kies3 has an option to not update firmware, but I was too afraid to connect it after the Software Update notification yesterday morning.

Upvote 0
Welp, I let it go for around a hour. The "Software Update" application data only went up around 100KB, but I noticed my internal storage went from 4.4GB to 4.2GB with just me browsing while I waited. So I turned-off Wi-Fi and stopped the process because I was worried. Now my Internet is slow and unless it was connected like a well seeded .TORRENT then it wouldn't download 200MB in an hour. But I wish I could tell what exactly it is downloading. But I don't know and there is no option to allow or deny it. And Samsung Security Policy Update is nagging me. I know I installed it previous before factory reset but I'm kinda worried what it will change this time now.

Upvote 0
But it says "updates" in the notification.
Screenshot_2016-07-26-19-23-27.png

Also on checking the auto-update setting it still says it's off but it says it checked yesterday. I factory reset a little after midnight but I turned-off mobile data and didn't have any Wi-Fi until after I had turned it off and Google Play Services' notifications off.
Screenshot_2016-07-26-07-41-31.png

So the only time it was online until auto-update was turned-off was the small space I was in set-up.

Upvote 0
I think Google Back-up was part of why Android OS was using a shit ton of Wi-Fi. I turned it off then on yesterday and all day it only used like 12MB today. I haven't tried restarting my S5 and seeing about the Software Update again. But I really need to know what it is. Because right now I am worried about entering recovery mode at all, and also about when I restart my device. If I knew for sure it wasn't a firmware update then I would leave it and let it go, but it still wasn't done last time in over an hour so that concerns me.

Upvote 0
I was briefly on faster Wi-Fi today and had restarted my device earlier. It went up more KB before I stopped it. Again, I am very nervous as to what the update is and whether to let it continue any. But it seems to try to install something if I go to recovery mode so that worries me, and it starts to download whenever my device is restarted and connects to wireless.Screenshot_2016-07-28-19-19-14.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones