• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleting unneeded apps?

eghill1125

Mar 2, 2010
Hello,

I have just grabbed the NC over the weekend and rooted right away on mine and also my wife's NC.

Just wondering if we have found out yet what unneeded apps can safely be removed by Titanium yet?

Things like the stock browser and stock music player are able to be taken out of the phones when rooted, but I worry sometimes about taking something out that should have stayed and I have not got to the point of doing a backup yet on mine until I buy a microsd card for it.

Anyone take out some of these and verify which can be deleted yet?

Google talk?
Browser?
Music?
Others?

I'm assuming you are on rooted stock. Personally I haven't attempted to yank any of the stock apps, I like to keep them around. The NC comes with a TON of internal memory. I've installed lots and lots of apps and the space for memory is hardly used.

You mention two types of system apps: ones that come on nook (browser, music, etc) and those added by autonooter (talk). Those added by autonooter I will say with confidence can be just deleted out of /system/app and then reboot.

The stock apps like browser or music, its harder to say. To explain using an example from my HTC Evo, there are some apps that come with it that need to stay on the device because they aren't just on-the-face-of-it apps, they are part of an underlying skin on top of android (In this case, HTC Sense) that are required for it to function.

This is my long-winded way of saying: i havent personally removed the stock apps, you really dont need to since you have a ton of space, and i dont know what will happen if you do.

cheers! ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answers.

That is the conclusion I came to with regards to the memory on the NC. I am used to deleting unneeded stuff off of ROMs on my Eris, so I automatically thought of what I can pull off the NC. It doesn't seem to need anything taken out of it with the memory it has internally anyways. I just figure I will leave everything there and not worry about it. Space does not seem to be a problem for a long time. I have already put tons of apps on mine now and barely a blip off of the internal or external memory. This thing is a beast and could not be happier with it... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones