• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dell streak screen is no gorilla! MUST READ

I guess this is more reason to make sure you maintain your insurance. I purchased the Best Buy Black Tie coverage and when the white finish on my phone got destroyed by a stupid full coverage protector made from the same material that's supposed to protect the screen - I had no trouble getting replacement. This service is $10/month and well worth it since they allow you to replace the phone unlimited times. I wouldn't think of having this device without the insurance. I think my heart would break if something happened to my phone and I couldn't get a new one.

Upvote 0
Dear friends,
The top screen, the sensor (digitizer) module & the display screen (lcd) are 3 different identities. Only the top protective screen is gorilla glass. Pls see in all the reported cases only the display has gone bad, the top screen is intact. The screen hit by pen video is NOT a fake.
-Dinesh

I love my dell streak..... no homo.
but the claims of its screen being rugged isnt true.

'Dell has said this is a very durable screen, it has been dubbed

Upvote 0
bump lol
happenned yesterday: couldn't handle it while taking out of my pocket and dropped on the road.
IMG_20110701_132200.jpg

Upvote 0
I too have had my screen crack & I'm no "windbag" stirring up trouble. I didn't drop my Streak or miss use it cos like almost everyone who has one I love it to bit (well except the recent upgrade to 2.2 & a few issues).

I didn't drop my streak, simply put it in my pocket after reading some messages, it buzzed a notification I took it out & it was cracked badly! Despite O2 claiming I had dropped it they replaced the handset in 48 hours free of charge - strange that!

Dell know this is an issue but are keeping shtum about it along with issues coming out of the 2.2 upgrade.

Come on Dell get it sorted, please!

Upvote 0
Good question, maybe if you break it the first day, no reason to hang around :)

I have had 2 streaks in the last 7 months, neither have broken a screen. It is a big phone and I would guess would break easier than some half it's size like a Iphone. I have dropped mine a couple of times, put it in my inside motorcycle jacket pocket when I ride. Normally put it in my lower pockets on my cargo pants. I don't feel comfortable putting it in a front or rear pocket, but I have in some cases.

Upvote 0
I call BS.

The original poster (3 total posts) doesn't have a picture and provides a shattered iphone no less???....and has never returned with one....maybe when he finds one on the internet. The 'second poster' (only post) has the same problem. The third poster (only post with the same conjugation problem) doesn't have a picture either.

I don't know why this person is doing this, but I guess everyone has an agenda.

Oh and even if the youtube guy dropped it 25 meters from a crane onto a concrete block, you should know people well enough that they lie...especially when a replacement may be sought after. I'm sure he dropped it 3 inches, in a place with only a quarter of the earth's gravity, onto a fluffy white cloud. :rolleyes:

Okay, let me begin, back wwhen i started this tthread i nnever expected iit tto be this popular. Hence I never looked back at this.

Now to address the guy and everyone else, I am a student aand my dell was my also my camera.....so if my dell screen got screwed...pretty hard to take a picture.

Anyway i would like you to know im oon my 4th replaced dell. Due to tthe sscreen easily being cracked.

Anyone who thinks I'm chatting bs then i can show you proof...

No I'm not out to get dell, the dell streak in my eeyes was one of the bbest phones aat that ttime. Sad it came out with 1.6 and sad gorilla didn't live to iits hype.

So to the guy I quoted, reply and ill show you my "BS"

Upvote 0
Streak!? Durable? People who's streak breaks easily are spouting off BS??? Time for ME to call BS.

I registered JUST to post in hopes that a) people DO NOT go through the same thing I went through and b) dell gets their act together and creates a phone that doesn't break from everyday use and is as rugged as their laptops (which I never had a problem with) And this is why
1-med.JPG

You can see the larger one here
http://www.wildfuryx.com/ebaytemp/1.JPG
and another here
http://www.wildfuryx.com/ebaytemp/3.JPG

YES. THAT is my OWN photo that I put up when I sold my once beloved broken streak on ebay. Dell accountability is ZERO on this note as they do not cover cracked LCD panels nor Glass even though this phone was less than 4 weeks old. Also note, the glass didn't crack nor did I drop it. That's right, the glass is PRISTINE (take a look at the second link above) As you can see it's new and absolutely beautiful otherwise except for a broken LD. Absolutely zero scratches on the exterior.

So then what happened that made it break so badly? What did I "do" to abuse it? I surfed the web and glided my finger across the page from left to right. It cracked right in front of me becoming utterly unusable and I was flabberghasted. Did I jab it? no. Did I even play games on it? Never. But the only thing I can think of is that Dell did send me a streak that was open boxed. Illegal? Yes. Went to the BBB and frankly they're implying dell is not culpable with their silence.

Want to see another Picture for proof because we're making stuff up? Here you go.

http://www.wildfuryx.com/ebaytemp/streakdouble.jpg

It was sold as "new" but was opened up for "firmware" fixing. Right... the bs I was fed about double sealing as just double sealing and that it was never opened was wrong. You cannot sell something as NEW and have it opened back up again. Dell has big cahones to do this so very openly.

Anyways back to the other pictures. As you can see the side / corner area is fragmented and from what I'm told this is one of the areas that receives stress fractures most often as the LCD is glued directly onto the gorilla glass.

I know all about this because, frankly, I am NOT alone on this issue. Go look on dell's support forums and you will see a plethora of angry users who are much more informed about the streak than I am. My post was deleted there once as it looks pretty bad when your product dies with normal use. But I said I'm going to screen shot it if they pull that same stunt on me again and it stayed.

So you got a streak that is rugged? Count yourself lucky and leave it at that. I loved that machine to death and it was the best functioning smart phone I've seen or used. But it's gone now.

I've moved on and am loving my little optimus V with the cheap virgin mobile plan. However, when I see BS saying how strong the streak is I will back up the OP 100%. While I will always miss the wonderful screen and functionality of the streak I'm not looking back because we KNOW the truth of the streaks being ticking time bombs.

So don't rub salt on the misfortunes of others when what we report is VERY real to us. You think it's dubious, well you haven't went through dell-inda tech support for HOURS with bald faced lies about your phone and its durability. And you better believe that most of us who sold our streaks know that it has by far the crappiest durability in the prettiest UI implementation / exterior of ANY phone in the market (imo including the Iphone).

Feeling that someone may be informed makes me feel better now and OP, best of luck with your dell. Square trade warranty it if you can as dell's warranty blows.

Upvote 0
Just to add my experience to this. I must have knocked my six month old Streak against something when it was in my pocket, because when I took it out, the display had black lines down it, and the upper right section was black. There was no damage to the glass.

I contacted Dell Support who told me to send photos of it. They rang me back to say that it wasn't a fault, but user damage. They quoted

Upvote 0
I just find it stupid when you try to report experiences like these people think your hating and they dont see they end being the ones stirin BS.

Btw.. my streak screen cracked again. With a case.

Regardless, you guys can check oout an app I'm working on, its live on the android market called, QuickSay.search and ttry it out!!!! It enables you to ppost to many social network sites in one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones