• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire S slows to a halt

aahaider

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I've had a Desire S on Orange for a couple of months. I like the phone but I can't figure out a couple of things:

1. Opening a contact can take 20-45 seconds. It gets half way and then says loading for ages before opening the contact. Same on saving. This seems to be all the time.

2. If I have more than a couple of HTC widgets or streams in use things in use it starts to grind to a halt. Just moving pages takes ages and there's a delay. If I kill all apps then it starts to work fine again. But my question is how to stop this from occurring. Should I remove apps from the phone or is deleting them from the windows enough? Do I just have a problem phone or do others experience this? I can't believe such an expensive piece of kit needs you to kill apps like a using a sledgehammer to kickstart the boiler every day.

Norton Utilities says there is 612 MB memory available but the specs say 768MB. Around 150-180MB free normally but when it's slow this shows around 120MB.

Thanks

BTW I also have the problem of zillions of unnamed contacts and sometimes the same phone number appearing 100's of times in the contact list. Those don't replicate to Gmail thankfully. The other threads say this might be just an auto save problem so I'll watch for solutions.

If you have 'zillions' of contacts, then that could certainly slow things down. I'd look to deleting all your contacts and sync them again from your sources (e.g. Gmail, Outlook, etc).

The second problem could be related to your huge database of contacts or other processes on your phone. Task killers, alternative UIs, beta versions of apps, could all contribute to slowing down your phone. Without knowing which apps you have, it's impossible to say.

I'd first try a soft reset, remove battery for 30 seconds after powering down the phone. It's the simplest thing to do and might make a difference if the problem is cache related.

Other than that, if you keep having to put up with a slow phone with no luck in finding a solution, you might find that doing a factory reset is going to represent the best and quickest course of action to solve this problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones