• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

desperate, need some help, emergency dialer going by itself

boatman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
Ok. just hung up from a phone call, went to make another and nothing happening. phone was really slow, it re dialed previous call, then call i wanted to make and another call.

Did a battery pull. Rebooted.

Phone boots, but doesn't let me get to screen to unlock.

Just loops by itself has dialer up , keeps trying to dial 8, gets error message, call not sent, 8 is not an emergency number. clicks ok by itself and trys again.

I have wavesecure and lock code.

Anyway possible to stop this and get in and break this up. I can't get to screen at all, i can't unpower it, if i try that it keeps doing this in airplane mode.

Help pls!

ok. actually got it work by booting attached to computer.
spoke to vzw tech who said using exchange native email app with screen lock causes this issue?
he then transferred me to mot tech support who after going thru steps said i should get a replacement phone at the store.

this is not really what i want to do. What am i going to lose, and is there ways back things up? i have sms backup, and emailed myself that.

i guess I have to re set up email accounts. From what i understand, all apps will re download themselves automatically? i have then choose what goes on sd card again i assume.

some help as to how to re setup is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Upvote 0
you just sign into the new phone with main gmail account.
Apps SHOULD auto download to the new phone after sign in, it can take a few mins so be patient. Contacts should be synced with google account so they will all repopulate as well.
All other email accounts will also need resetup.
You'll keep your old SD Card so all that is good to go.
SMS Backup & Restore will work for txts, but not MMS. There are some apps that can do this, just not for free. or if they are free, I haven't found em LOL

If you were rooted TiBu is a more foolproof way of ensuring you get all your apps/data back. but then again you'd be unrooting your phone right now before taking back to VZW LOL.
If you don't wanna swap phones, then do a factory reset. You'll end up having to do all of the above, but it will save you a trip to the store.

Upvote 0
Sinful. Thanks. But i think the phone itself is going bad anyway. I noticed for the past few months that when i try to go from say screen 1 to screen 2, i need to do a finger drag like 3 times. and sometimes the phone just dials itself, etc.
Do you think just a factory reset will work

Upvote 0
You say sometimes you have to do several finger drags. But not every time.... I'd say it sounds more software related to me from that. and really. If you are sitting at work or whatever waiting until a certain time to go to the store then you have some time to burn to try it.
But here's the part I really don't understand. If you are outside your 30 days, I'm confused as to why they are sending you to the store instead of overnighting you a new phone. Sounds like they are trying to pass the buck. Before wasting a trip to the store I'd call the one that you want to go to and ask them if you go there as instructed, are they going to have a refurb or new phone to give you or are they going to just put in an order for one to be sent to you like they should have while you were on the phone with support the first time?

Upvote 0
waypast the 30 days, got this droid in the 1st week back last novemeber. I do have time to burn, so you are saying i should try to do a factory reset. Do i get that by booting into the triange, get the menu onscreen and then picking factory reset, or is there an easier way?

also, in the past, vzw has always overnited me phones rather than me going to the store. I happen to have to go past a vzw store to pick up something at the mall tonite, so i figured i would go there. I would rather get a new phone than refurb, any chance on this, as who knows what vzw has at depot or store? will the store really tell me if they have new stuff ahead of time? i have going to the stores, you wait forever and not sure you always get a competent person...

Upvote 0
I'm saying, I would do the factory reset. If it works you get to keep the hardware you have known and grown accustom to. This is a big bonus because the refurbs sound like a shot in the dark on good or junk.

I hate going into the store for that very reason!! I have heard of some people going into the store and getting a new device. but this is few and FAR between. those are normally for the inside 30 days folks. and if they have no refurbs on the shelf and you get a rep that doesn't wanna play ball, you're stuck waiting for the mail. Of course this is also worth a shot.
I have the patience of a 2 year old so that might be why I'd try the factory reset first, the hell to the yeah I'd go to the store and give it my all to get a new one same day.
Factory rest - Yup, thats exactly how ya do it. It won't erase any of your pics/etc on your SD Card but if you feel safer about it shut down the phone and pull the card before even starting the process.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones