• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Developer device

zings

Lurker
Aug 2, 2010
Hi,
I was one of the lucky recipients of the google developer device. I was chosen for my contributions to the community forums which I used extensively.
I have the phone and it's working great but I have a question.
I worked on an Android project for my company during which I posted on the android group heavily on the ways of porting to platforms and debugging the issues and also seeking help in the process. Now, legally speaking does the device belong to me because I used the forums which the project didn't dictate or does it belong to my employer because I got it as a result of working on the company project?

Thanks,
ziegler

is your company actually trying to claim the device?

this is a tricky situation..........

on one hand any work product or gifts, spiffs, etc resulting from said work product belong to the company unless they give them to you

on the other hand by receiving the developer device you entered into a 'agreement' with google that you would not transfer, sell, etc said device

so technically speaking your company cannot take the device from you as their property....... but you arent legally entitled to keep work product......

ultimately the only solution in legal terms would be returning the device........

but again....... is your company seriously trying to take the device from you?

Upvote 0
is your company actually trying to claim the device?

this is a tricky situation..........

on one hand any work product or gifts, spiffs, etc resulting from said work product belong to the company unless they give them to you

on the other hand by receiving the developer device you entered into a 'agreement' with google that you would not transfer, sell, etc said device

so technically speaking your company cannot take the device from you as their property....... but you arent legally entitled to keep work product......

ultimately the only solution in legal terms would be returning the device........

but again....... is your company seriously trying to take the device from you?

You mean the company has a legal right to the device even though they had nothing to do with it? How can my work outside the company make them eligible for what I receive for my outside efforts?

Upvote 0
your OP made it sound like you received the device because of your use of their forum...... use which only occurred because you were doing research for a company project....... thats part of work product

if you mostly used the forums for personal use and just happened to also use them for your work then that means the research on the forums was not primarily work related.... thus not work product

so the distinction is...... were you using the forums for both personal and business ....... or strictly business related research......... if it was personal use then they have no claim whatsoever....... even if you also did work related research

your biggest problem here really doesnt have anything to do with the device anyhow...... if they truely try to claim the device they would have to take you to court and they probably arent willing to spend a ton of legal fees over something so silly......... but the problem you face is simply this........ do you like your job???

if they ask for the device and you refuse are you going to be fired? is losing your job worth keeping the device?

Upvote 0
your OP made it sound like you received the device because of your use of their forum...... use which only occurred because you were doing research for a company project....... thats part of work product

if you mostly used the forums for personal use and just happened to also use them for your work then that means the research on the forums was not primarily work related.... thus not work product

so the distinction is...... were you using the forums for both personal and business ....... or strictly business related research......... if it was personal use then they have no claim whatsoever....... even if you also did work related research

your biggest problem here really doesnt have anything to do with the device anyhow...... if they truely try to claim the device they would have to take you to court and they probably arent willing to spend a ton of legal fees over something so silly......... but the problem you face is simply this........ do you like your job???

if they ask for the device and you refuse are you going to be fired? is losing your job worth keeping the device?

Hmm.. The question is not really about the device as you said but more with the concept of it.
No, they are not claiming it.

Ziegler

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones