• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root developing

snowwhite

Jan 12, 2011
Ok iv been messing around with roms past few days checkin them out ect. Im wondering how hatd it is to create a rom or even modify a rom and add best bits of each rom together really wana look into all of this if anyone can point me in right direction i wood be gratefull

DAMN beaten to it! lol

Upvote 0
A rom is just a bunch of .apk files, and in theory its real wasy to make a rom. Trick is makin a good one.

Hint: .apk

I did say "stable" :)

I suppose if you are going to use someone elses kernels as a base, it wouldn't be too hard to compile something.

I won't be making a rom. I resolve windows issues but I won't be releasing a PC operating system either :)

Wouldn't know where to start. My design skills are poor though, so it would look rubish.

Upvote 0
A rom is just a bunch of .apk files, and in theory its real wasy to make a rom. Trick is makin a good one.

Hint: .apk

sorry but this is incorrect

Rom is a load of so and lib based instructions from linux/unix which is contained within a virtual layer called dalvic. at this level there is no apk
people assume as most devs midify and update the application layer of various base roms but a Rom in fact is not a bunch of apk's

only at application level does the apks kick in which offer various extra bits of functionality
you also have the kernel which dalvic needs to run on

Upvote 0
sorry but this is incorrect

Rom is a load of so and lib based instructions from linux/unix which is contained within a virtual layer called dalvic. at this level there is no apk
people assume as most devs midify and update the application layer of various base roms but a Rom in fact is not a bunch of apk's

only at application level does the apks kick in which offer various extra bits of functionality
you also have the kernel which dalvic needs to run on

Forgive me I'm an idiot! I've eatin 4 cans of Relentless and a Jaffa Cake. Makes the car go really fast.

Upvote 0
Seriously. like Danfrance says, its expert stuff. Would you know how to recover from a simple bootloop?

You can easily damage your phone.

Yrs i do i aint sayin i wanted to do this right now just wanted to read the theory as im interested i presume most developers use base roms and add apps and themes of ther choice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones