• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Device First Activation/Power On History Log

M0381U5

May 30, 2011
Device First Activation/Power On History Log

Is there any way of telling, via a device log in the firmware or some were else, when the phone was first powered, activated or some other way, that it has been used before or not.

After having my SGS2 for only 3 weeks it got a Bright Green Dead Pixel, very disappointing! :mad: I returned the device to the retail who in turn sent it to the distributor, who in turn sent it to an 'Authorized' Technician for assessment.

After 5 Weeks waiting, and reporting to the Consumer authorities, The phone was found to be faulty under 'Early Life Failure' and I am hopefully collecting my supposedly 'Brand New' SGS2 tomorrow.

My concern is that the phone is not 'Brand New'. I live a long way from the retailer... 1200km... they will be sending the phone to me by post. They asked if they could open the box and make sure everything was ok, before they sent the phone, which in my now possible stupidity agreed to, as the gentlemen at the store have been very helpful and polite all along. How ever my instincts tell me that they are trying to pull a shifty and right off a demo or semi used device instead of a brand new one.

Is there any way of telling, via a device log in the firmware or some were else, when the phone was first powered, activated or some other way, that it has been used before or not.

I have a record of all the dates of communication with them and approval for replacement, as well as the day they ask to open the device. if there is a log and it says that it has been turned on or activated previous to that date, it would be helpful to be able to see.

Any help would be most appreciated

I'm not aware of any such thing, certainly not one that's accessible under 'normal' circumstances. However.... ;)

If you connect the handset to a PC and mount the internal storage as a removable drive you can check the last-modified date on its directories. Check ".temp" and "ShareViaWifi, as I believe both of those are created during initial setup and aren't modified later.

My own handset shows dates and times which correspond to when I powered up the device for the first time (box, device and battery seals were all intact so definitely unused). The handset has been wiped/flashed numerous times since but the dates on these folders is unaltered, so I reckon they're a good indicator to "first use time".

Reactions: M0381U5
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones