• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Device won't read SD card, but SD card is functional!

mogie

Aug 2, 2011
Hi there,

I've just received a warranty replacement device (my original Droid Inc 2 stopped charging after 2.5 years). But, this device has its own problem: it will not read my SD card. When attempting to view photos, music, etc, it says "Please insert an SD card."

Some more info:

- I know the SD card works, because when I insert it into the old device, it reads the pictures and music just fine. So the SD card is not broken.
- Because the SD is not readable, I am unable to reformat it, either through the phone or my computer via USB. Device won't let me "Erase SD card" in settings (grayed out) because it says the SD card is "unavailable." I can't even connect the device to my computer "as a disk drive" because it doesn't see the SD card.
- Most strange of all: After activating the phone, it automatically set my background image to the same as I had on my original phone, which was stored on the SD card! So, the phone detects some inkling of the SD card, but refuses to allow me access to it in any way ....
- This is actually the SECOND warranty replacement device in a row that has the exact same issue. The one I received last week to replace the original was behaving the same way, and Verizon told me that the SD port/connections must be defective, so they sent me a 2nd replacement. Suspiciously, this one has the EXACT same problem as the 1st one ... Right down to automatically loading my background image.

Verizon has been pretty useless on getting to the root of this problem. I have checked for software updates and was given the message "No new software update available."

Software info:
Android version 2.3.4
HTC sense version 2.1
Software number 6.04.605.07 710RD
PRI version 1.94_002
PRL version 53419
ERI version 5

Any suggestions on something I haven't tried/checked would be greatly appreciated......!

P.S. I just had an idea and put the SD back into old phone (which still can read it) and reformatted it there. Then, put it BACK into the NEW phone, but it STILL won't read the SD after being reformatted: "Please insert an SD card." WHAT GIVES ??? It is still loading my background image though, so the image must have been saved to my phone settings somehow and is loading when it syncs with my google account .... Not reading it from SD.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones