• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did Metro lie when they said "Your device will work as always"?

PHP87

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2012
A Burger King bathroom...
Title should read "Did Metro LIE when they said "Your device will work as always"?
**mod fixed title**

Dear valued MetroPCS customer,

It's with great excitement that I share with you today's news that MetroPCS and T-Mobile USA have officially joined forces.

For more than 11 years now, MetroPCS' goal has been to provide you with exceptional wireless service at a tremendous value. Now that we're part of T-Mobile, our commitment to you does not change, nor does our great service. In fact, we believe things are only going to be better as we will have the ability to deliver more of what you demand and deserve.

You might ask, "What happens to my MetroPCS service?" We believe your service will only improve as we continue to grow. The reason so many of our customers choose MetroPCS now is the unmatched value we provide. Going forward, using T-Mobile USA's network, we will continue to improve on our "best deal in town" promise of delivering our no-annual-contract mobile services with significant savings.

And you're probably asking, "What do I have to do?" Not a thing -- your plan stays the same, your phone number stays the same and your phone will work just like always.
But now, you're part of something bigger and better that will soon provide you with even more choice and value.

• More coverage soon with a nationwide 4G network, and a stronger, nationwide 4GLTE network coming later this year.
  • More choice with access to a wider selection of the latest and greatest 4G smartphones and more features and services that will enhance your mobile experience.
  • More value with simplified, affordable rate plans with taxes and fees included, but without the need for an annual contract.
  • More resources to deliver the highest quality of service.
Whether you're a new customer or have been with us for years, you've seen our selection of phones grow significantly with the latest brands and cutting-edge technology. We'll continue to stand behind our products and services and will provide the resources to ensure your phone is supported today and well into the future.

We're excited to step into the next chapter of MetroPCS' history together and will continue to update you along the way. For more information please refer to our list of frequently asked questions.

On behalf of all of our employees and retail partners, we thank you for choosing MetroPCS and look forward to delivering you a better wireless experience for years to come.

Sincerely,

Tom Keys
Executive Vice President & COO
MetroPCS Brand

https://www.metropcs.com/T-MobileandMetroPCSJoinForces.html

So if my phone will work like always, then why do I have to spend money on a new device?

I like my LG Spirit and would like to upgrade, but I have a big tax bill to pay and I just received the text from Metro that service will end 3/15 and the last date to make a payment is 2/23/15 (My usual payment date is on the 29th)

Am I to assume that my device will not work after 3/23/15 since the last date they will take payment is 2/23?

What about the claim of "your phone will work just like always"? - Obviously, my CDMA phone will not work just like always?

The ZTE ZMax looks like a great deal if you buy from a Metro dealer, but to tell the truth, I have to put every penny towards taxes and other expenses, and giving customers such short notice isn't the best way to run a business.

Also, a lot of people weren't aware that service would be ending soon either, unless they read these boards. The average end-user doesn't.

After rebate, I only ended up paying about $160 for my LG Spirit from Wirefly and it still suits my needs, but going to a device with a bigger screen and a faster CPU, more RAM and more internal storage sounds good, but it's something that's going to be tough for me to pull off this time of year.

Yeah, it's only $125.00, but it's a lot when you don't have it and I don't want to buy some low-end POS device because I'm low on funds and they're making the switch in my market when a lot of people have to pay taxes and are tight on money, plus, they basically lied when they said "your phone will work just like always"

Last edited by a moderator:
True but also ancient history, we've known this for a couple of years now. Most of us have long since switched to GSM phones well ahead of the actual switch in our areas, why wait till the last minute.
If your budget is limited Metro has new LTE phones as low as $29 or you can find used ones at places like Swappa. No need to spend that $160 if it's too much for you.
And this is hardly without precedent, we were supposed to be able to keep our health insurance too. ;)

Upvote 0
Yep. But this is on the Metro site, in writing and I don't want to buy a POS phone.

Normally, $200-$300 for a phone would not be a big deal, but I have to send the same jerks that made the false claims about our health insurance a big check before April 15th, so I'm just short on cash right now.

Yeah, I can borrow a Benji from a friend, and the ZMax is a good deal (If you can find one at a Metro store, otherwise, you have to wait for your rebate.) but it's a flat-out lie to say " your phone will work just like always"

The fact that many people don't care only enables this type of behavior.

Upvote 0
When reading it as a company PR letter, it looks like they meant "you don't have to do anything right now after this announcement, your phone still works."

And since this was from 2012 I'm guessing most users slowly bought new GSM phones that they would have anyways. Not saying it's right or I agree with it, I know it's still inconvenienced many people.

Are they still offering discounts for CDMA customers who trade in the old phones? That could help with the cost :)

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones