• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Did Z4 Root work for you after 2.3.340 ?

Recent register here, for this very issue. Previous root, 2.2, via PC script, updated today (12/11/2010, 2AM PST) when some posts indicated z4root worked. Superuser icon remained after update and still contained permissions even though no programs requiring root would work, but so far no method has worked (PC script, z4root 1.1 or 1.3). z4 goes through the paces (exploit, attempting to apply, white screen, rebooting/"rooted until reboot"), but root access never succeeds (no superuser access by programs, Reboot Widget and Root Explorer being most obvious reports). Have attempted both temp and perm multiple times with no success.

Odd sidenote: I rooted at 2.2. Before I updated today I noticed my system version was at 2.3.15 before the update, but I never ran an update and was never notified about an auto-update.

System version: Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android version: 2.2.1

Upvote 0
Recent register here, for this very issue. Previous root, 2.2, via PC script, updated today (12/11/2010, 2AM PST) when some posts indicated z4root worked. Superuser icon remained after update and still contained permissions even though no programs requiring root would work, but so far no method has worked (PC script, z4root 1.1 or 1.3). z4 goes through the paces (exploit, attempting to apply, white screen, rebooting/"rooted until reboot"), but root access never succeeds (no superuser access by programs, Reboot Widget and Root Explorer being most obvious reports). Have attempted both temp and perm multiple times with no success.

Odd sidenote: I rooted at 2.2. Before I updated today I noticed my system version was at 2.3.15 before the update, but I never ran an update and was never notified about an auto-update.

System version: Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android version: 2.2.1

I tried all that too. It all APPEARS to work but doesn't actually give you root. One-clicks, terminal, manual. Nothing works. I agree with those who said that there are two updates that were pushed. One can be rooted via the previous methods and another that is going to need a new expoit...

Upvote 0
Posting to add to the documentation.

D1 was rooted, I flashed to stock 2.2, recieved the updates, have the Superuser icon, but no root. Ihave tried rooting using both versions of Z4, tried unrooting, the temp root, perm root, rebooting, and the battery yank. Nothing.

FWIW, the update seems to have really added nothing new to the phone.

Upvote 0
For those trying Z4Root on their DX, make sure that you are using z4root.1.1.0.apk - if you used 1.0 or 1.3.0 those versions do not work. I tried rooting first wit 1.3.0 and it failed. Then I dl'ed 1.1.0 and it worked fine. Be patient when you're using z4root - the process may take 10-15 minutes so wait until your phone reboots. Also make sure your phone is not connected to your PC.

For some reason, z4root is no longer available in the Market, but you can search for it.

This worked for me after the update, I was rooted before lost root. Tried z4 1.3.0 nothing but a reboot. Tried with 1.1.0 and worked great. Thanks :thumb:

Upvote 0
Saw this in the other thread, maybe you guys who can't root can try this and report back what happens:

I was able to get z4root to work. All I did was started the app with the phone unplugged, waited a minute or two, then plugged the phone into my computer. Not long after plugging it in, z4 said the patch was installed and it rebooted. I'm now rooted.

Upvote 0
Well if there's any truth to the rumor that something in the second batch of updates doesn't allow root, then my impatience has finally paid off as I updated via the leaked version of the first update.

The second update hit 2 days later, and at first I was worried that it may have a few extra tweaks that the first one didn't... but if not being able to root is one of those tweaks, then I'm glad I didn't wait!

Upvote 0
Well if there's any truth to the rumor that something in the second batch of updates doesn't allow root, then my impatience has finally paid off as I updated via the leaked version of the first update.

The second update hit 2 days later, and at first I was worried that it may have a few extra tweaks that the first one didn't... but if not being able to root is one of those tweaks, then I'm glad I didn't wait!

The weird thing is it seems like there's plenty of people who got the second batch update who were able to root with z4root.

Upvote 0
I think the problem that I'm having is that there are TWO superuser.apk files in my apps directory: one is Superuser.apk (27.04k) and the other is SuperUser.apk (191.92k). I think the problem with trying to root is that I'm actually successful, but the OS is unable to give an app superuser rights because the first, smaller file is a corrupt version somehow. So, I simply can't get root.

Does anyone know how I can get access to the system/app directory in order to delete that first smaller file?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Z4 worked fine for me after the update. My phone was rooted via another (long and complicated) method pre-update. I didn't unroot it before updating.

I had the same experience here. Was rooted through another (non-z4) method... restored my backup to just after I rooted my phone (two weeks ago). Did a factory reset, just to be safe, and it picked up the update... installed fine. z4 took all of 20 seconds to run and root was restored. Not sure why others are having problems.

When I originally rooted, only deodexed (928) and installed custom themes... no ROMs.

Upvote 0
I think the problem that I'm having is that there are TWO superuser.apk files in my apps directory: one is Superuser.apk (27.04k) and the other is SuperUser.apk (191.92k). I think the problem with trying to root is that I'm actually successful, but the OS is unable to give an app superuser rights because the first, smaller file is a corrupt version somehow. So, I simply can't get root.

Does anyone know how I can get access to the system/app directory in order to delete that first smaller file?

Thanks.

I have suspected Superuser is the issue, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones