• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

difficult to view screen when bright light

dan55

Android Expert
Oct 23, 2010
hi yall

...my pix2 is so hard to view with bright light hitting screen (ie sun or close electric light) ... that im having to resort to auto screen brightneess so that it can boost the screen in these situations (will my battery cope! )

...not 100% sure whether this is just general or the pix2 ... or due to my oil coating being knackered :/

cheers

The Pixel 2 isn't as bright as the recent Samsungs - in fact I don't think it has the "boost" that those have when on auto (i.e. I don't think there's any difference between manual full brightness and automatic). Actually I always leave mine on auto, very rarely touch the brightness slider - after a few days the "adaptive brightness" feature (which notes how you adjust the brightness when in auto mode and tunes the auto brightness accordingly) does a good enough job that I don't need to.

That said I rarely have a problem seeing it - certainly not at this time of year in the UK ;). And I don't think I ever hold it close enough to an artificial light for the question to arise indoors.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
hi - yes very true .. not much chance of bright sun now :D ..... wonder what its waterproof rating is :/ :D

ah i see - yes by boost i just meant htat on auto it increase brightness on its own .... i didnt realise at first that it is supposed to learn your manual overrides ... will see ho it does

btw - are you dark moding it?

cheers

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm definitely dark moding (proper black, not that horrid grey Google used to call "dark mode"). I've had the blinding white of Google's default for years, time for a change. And it makes more sense with an AMOLED display anyway.

(If next Summer it's less readable I can switch to light mode again. I've no interest in a day/night timer mode which some people call for - I guess they think it's cool, but I find it jarring when the colour scheme changes between one session and the next).

Upvote 0
ah yes good point - might have to revisit it then ... yuck! yes switch modes on timer wouldnt be nice :(
ta

...ok back on the dark mode :) .... think i recall now why i switched back ... notifications are harder to read i find ... but shall try for a few days and see how i get on with it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones