• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dinc 2 Reception issues

Patsum

May 9, 2010
I am a new owner of a Dinc 2 and I love the phone so far. my only complaint is shoddy reception.... and T9 not learning my most used words like it used to ( another subject another day )

I came from a Droid X and dinc 1....the X side by side with the Dinc 2 is ridiculous... I am getting -95 on the Dinc 2 in my home and -83 on the droid x SAME exact spot....I am constantly going to 1X whenever I move to places with non perfect signal..never had this problem with my X......and when I pick up the Inc 2 The reception changes wildly

I have done *228 multiple times and compared to other phones in the house. My phone has the worst reception. Speeds are around 700 kbps down and 700 up..my X got 1.2 mbps down and 760 up..same spot...averaged over 5 tests..come on now....

The antennas on the Dinc seem to strongly correlate with the battery door cover...take your cover off and watch your signal go to no service....

So I am hoping someone comes out with a better back or mod to increase the signal...I spent 30% of my day yesterday without signal where I would spend 0% on my droid x..same places...

Sure wifi helps but god damn it, this is a 3G phone. give me signal or give me death.

Dramatic I am sure....but I know this is an issue others have...I am NOT buying a range extender for only MY phone in the house when verizon phones like the X and envy's all work great

-Pat

Lets root this sucker. get a reception fix and enjoy a great phone.

Reception is a hardware issue, not a software issue, so rooting not going to help.

The antenna is in the battery door, which is very obvious if you take a look at it. That's why you lose service entirely when you remove the door. The only solution (which may or may not actually help) would be an aftermarket battery door with a better antenna.

You are not alone, many of us have noted (in various threads, had you searched) the poor reception of this phone.

Upvote 0
When I hold my phone normally in the palm of my and then hold it at the top of the phone so my hand isn't covering the bottom I gain a bar or two. The antenna should be at the top !

Originally that's where it was. But with all of the worry over cell radiation causing cancer, they moved it to the bottom. The reason being that the bottom should be further away from your brain. Of course it's closer to your jaw, but whatever. Someone else made that decision, however misguided it may be.

Upvote 0
Actually, my DINC2 is generally better at hearing VZW than my BB Storm or RAZR. A while back I was actually able to terminate VZW, without penalty fees, because I was able to show VZW we had poor coverage at the house and there were no plans for improvement in the coming 18 months. We went to AT&T (almost as bad for coverage). We went back to VZW because it's worked like a charm in places where AT&T had zero coverage (places in Virginia's Norther Neck, for example). Anyway, the point is, we still don't have good coverage close to the house, but the DINC2 is better with this than any phone before it.

That said, the BT section seems a little challenged and the WiFi section, in a three way test with the DINC2 DX2, and iPhone4 on the same table at PJ Whelihans' in Blue Bell, PA, struggled to hear the inhouse WiFi service while the other two connected almost immediately.

Upvote 0
I don't really have any problems in my part of town I live in with reception. I can drive about 25 mins (to the other side of town) until I have a signal issue (which has been there since 2005 when I moved here, no matter what phone I've had)

Going downtown however, when I had AT&T and T-Mobile, I'd always drop signal halfway through. With VZW, I don't. I may go from 3G to 1X, but I really can't tell the difference. Texts and calls work the same.

Going to work, my iPhone 3GS would always go from 3G to EDGE. My Dinc 2 stays in 3G the whole time.

Before posting, I had 2 signal bars. I did a PRL update and as soon as the phone reset, I went up to 4. Maybe here in New Jersey, Verizon has a very big customer base (where have you ever seen 3 VZW stores within 5 miles of eachother?) or I just lucked out with my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones