• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Disable Throttle!

Sep 29, 2013
So I'm leaving the reverb. The freezing screen and random reboots are really getting on my nerves.
I'm switching over to Boost and I'm getting the Galaxy S2. While waiting for it to arrive, I've been doing some research into what sort of hacktrickery I can get into with the phone, and I came across this post here
[GUIDE] How to Disable Boost Data Throttle - *Confirmed Works - Android Forums
And I thought, "Well, I'm leaving this phone, plus I'm already over my limit, so it can't hurt to try, right?"
And it turns out, it didn't hurt at all! In fact, it worked like a charm!
All you need is root access and a file browser, like Root Browser.
Go to /Data/System, and change the permissions of the "Throttle" file to "r-x-----" (uncheck "Write")
Backup the two files in the Throttle folder, then delete them.
Boot into recovery, wipe dalvik cache, and you should be good to go!
When I booted back up, it said Android was upgrading, and optimized a bunch of apps. It took a few moments for everything to settle, but now I'm watching youtube videos in HD without any holdups.
Give it a try, let me know if it works for everyone else, and give thanks to the original poster for figuring this out for the S2!

Reactions: skuppej
So I'm leaving the reverb. The freezing screen and random reboots are really getting on my nerves.
I'm switching over to Boost and I'm getting the Galaxy S2. While waiting for it to arrive, I've been doing some research into what sort of hacktrickery I can get into with the phone, and I came across this post here
[GUIDE] How to Disable Boost Data Throttle - *Confirmed Works - Android Forums
And I thought, "Well, I'm leaving this phone, plus I'm already over my limit, so it can't hurt to try, right?"
And it turns out, it didn't hurt at all! In fact, it worked like a charm!
All you need is root access and a file browser, like Root Browser.
Go to /Data/System, and change the permissions of the "Throttle" file to "r-x-----" (uncheck "Write")
Backup the two files in the Throttle folder, then delete them.
Boot into recovery, wipe dalvik cache, and you should be good to go!
When I booted back up, it said Android was upgrading, and optimized a bunch of apps. It took a few moments for everything to settle, but now I'm watching youtube videos in HD without any holdups.
Give it a try, let me know if it works for everyone else, and give thanks to the original poster for figuring this out for the S2!
Thanks for updating us here, Charkey.

I can't say that I've been having very much instability with my PartyTime rom, but if I do, I'm definitely going to give this a shot

Upvote 0
Thanks for updating us here, Charkey.

I can't say that I've been having very much instability with my PartyTime rom, but if I do, I'm definitely going to give this a shot

So, ummmm...yeah.
While I can totally sympathize with you're frustration (God knows this phone's put me thru enough of it), I made the decision over this wknd. to keep this phone-at least until I can afford another. So; THAT decision, in turn, means scaling back to a working phone setup...sans JB 4.1.2.
For me, so far, doing that isn't involving too much frustration because I, personally have about 6 to 8 gigs of backups to fall back on. Those are all 'version ICS' of some sort.
Currently I'm on PT JBS v2.4 for 24+ hours, and not even a hint of freezing up. :D
I guess what I'm gettin' to, without pontificating too much, is if you're short on cash, and have the files and/or time to re-do this phone; maybe, maybe, it can be resurrected to the point of worthwhile. :hmmmm:

I know now that I have a little time over Christmas break I'm gonna try and Frankenstein something ICS based to at least make it interesting.

Peace,
Sox

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones