• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Disk Drive mode, but everything still runs?

deanshep85

Android Expert
Nov 22, 2010
UK
Ok so the title might be misleading...I dunno...didn't know what else to call it..

anyway, this isn't an issue more of a confused query really...

You see im wondering about Apps2SD and Data2SD how things that are stored on the SD card still can function when you put the phone into disk drive mode when connected to PC?

I mean when I connect to PC it refuses access to certain games, especially the ones with like 50MB-100MB of data downloaded on the SD card and obviously any music..

so how is it that applications like fancy widgets and others that have been installed 'internally' but are really on the SD card thanks to the Apps2SD+ or Data2SD?

Or do they happen to leave JUST enough core files on the true internal drive on the phone to keep them running and not just say in memory?

Like I said, im just curious as to how this works.

Disk drive mode only mounts the first partition.

On an unpartitioned card this happens to be the entire SD card (entirely FAT32).

On a partitioned card, it still only mounts the first partition, but this is no longer the whole card, only FAT32 partition

Hope this clarifies.

ah...that would explain then why music/pictures and 'downloaded' game content fail to load because they would be on the FAT32 partition then..

cheers dan..

like I said, it was no BIG thing to know...was just curious minds at work :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones