• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Display screen out of doors. Ugh!

davehries

Dec 29, 2009
Hi,

This is my second try at posting this. I hit the wrong button the first time.

So here goes. I purchased my Incredible last Monday. I really like the phone, but I find the display screen to be totally worthless in the out-of-doors or while riding in a car.

While in the car (today was sunny) my wife received an incoming call. She was unable to read the display. So, I pulled over and looked at it (It was almost black). I could just barely make out what was on the screen. We missed the call.

Later I went into the backyard and tried to use the video camera. Mercy! Talk about shooting in the dark. I could not tell if the camera was in focus or not.

This is a real disappointment. Is this normal? Do I have a bad phone? Are all cell phones like this? I am about ready to return it, but I don't know what to get. Maybe I should just stick with my 7 year old flip phone. Perhaps the Samsung Vibrant??

Thanks for your response. :thinking:

I've heard a lot of complaints about not being able to see the screen in sun light but I honestly don't have that problem. Sure its a little dim but I can still see it just fine. Are you sure your brightness isn't turned down? I have mine set to auto.

If the Dinc is bad in the sun then my old Omnia is just AWFUL.

Reactions: knebel22
Upvote 0
This is normal, and no, you do not have a bad phone. This is one of the downsides of having an AMOLED screen, whereas your older phone was an LCD. AMOLED screens will provide very realistic, vibrant colors (darker blacks, etc.) in normal low light conditions, however become washed out in bright outdoor lighting. The only solution to this is turn up the brightness.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones