• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I need a case?

jboku

Oct 6, 2011
I've dropped my old Galaxy Nexus more times than I can count over the past 2 years and i've ever got a scratch on it (at least one that stands out). I've also never used a case or screen protector on it....

Now I have the Note 3 and I noticed a few things from reviews / videos.

1. The chrome plating on the sides chips EASILY

2. The face down screen drop from 5' shatters the screen.

Now to my questions:
1. Is this screen / phone more fragile than the Galaxy Nexus?

2. Will a screen protector be enough to protect the screen from shattering when dropping in real life situations?

• Which ones are the best / what grade should I look for (H3, H8+ etc...)
  • Which ones are the clearest (I hate when covers take away from the vibrancy -- Also the orange peel effect is always a fear)
3. Which case do you recommend if I get one? I don't want to turn my phone into a wallet and I don't want to add much more bulk to it :p.

Currently when I picked up my phone I got the Incipio case which is nothing special and not worth the $25 (I plan on returning it). Over all it's fine but for $10 on amazon I can get a similar case.

Thanks!

I've dropped my old Galaxy Nexus more times than I can count over the past 2 years and i've ever got a scratch on it (at least one that stands out). I've also never used a case or screen protector on it....

Now I have the Note 3 and I noticed a few things from reviews / videos.

1. The chrome plating on the sides chips EASILY

2. The face down screen drop from 5' shatters the screen.

Now to my questions:
1. Is this screen / phone more fragile than the Galaxy Nexus?

2. Will a screen protector be enough to protect the screen from shattering when dropping in real life situations?

• Which ones are the best / what grade should I look for (H3, H8+ etc...)
  • Which ones are the clearest (I hate when covers take away from the vibrancy -- Also the orange peel effect is always a fear)
3. Which case do you recommend if I get one? I don't want to turn my phone into a wallet and I don't want to add much more bulk to it :p.

Currently when I picked up my phone I got the Incipio case which is nothing special and not worth the $25 (I plan on returning it). Over all it's fine but for $10 on amazon I can get a similar case.

Thanks!

Galaxy Nexus was the most fragile phone I have ever known. I broke the screen on it like 4 times. Anyways, the question "do in need a case" is something only you can answer. The Note 3 is no more fragile than most phones out there. If you're someone who drops their phone a lot, I'd get something.

Upvote 0
I got a Bodyglove case. Think it was like 25 bucks. It is better than nothing. I would hate to drop it though.

I saw a guy with one from, Incipio, I think it was. basically the same idea as the bodyglove, kind of like an Otterbox Commuter.

It would make the phone much bulkier, but I think I will have to put a Defender case on this as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
Galaxy Nexus was the most fragile phone I have ever known. I broke the screen on it like 4 times. Anyways, the question "do in need a case" is something only you can answer. The Note 3 is no more fragile than most phones out there. If you're someone who drops their phone a lot, I'd get something.

Nothing can be more fragile than Xperia Z Ultra.

To the OP, I find the Note 3 a solidly built device. I've already dropped mine waist-high and it didn't suffer any damage.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I find the Note 3 a solidly built device. I've already dropped mine waist-high and it didn't suffer any damage.

omg.gif

Upvote 0
The 3rd party case and screen protector vendors say yes, yes you need them. :p That said, I went without a screen protector on my Note 2 and will do so on my Note 3. I did however invest in a case for my Note 2 and have done so for my 3 also. A small $30 investment isn't too much to ask when you're looking at a $700 phone. Even if you have insurance on your phone, I would think $30 or so would be better than the time and money involved in dealing with an insurance company.

Upvote 0
I love the Diztronic cases and had one on my GNex the moment it came out - though they took a couple tries before getting the cutouts correct.

I dropped my GNEX quite a bit as well - and have 2 kids (now 6 & 2) who have thrown and dropped the phone for 2 years. No scratches and never broke a screen.

I'll probably get Diztronic again for my Note 3. It's slim. For a couple weeks, I'll enjoy the faux leather and slimness of the phone.

Upvote 0
I went with the Seidio Surface Case (with kickstand) and belt Holster combo.

BD2-HR3SSGT3K-BK-9T.jpg
BD2-HR3SSGT3K-BK-3T.jpg

thumpdown.gif
Note - Seidio's customer stinks big time, just get the product and hope you'll never have to deal with those ass-clowns. They said thet don't price match, so I email them a copy of their low price guarantee... "kcuf -em", I got the damn caes and hiolster.

SEIDIO | SURFACE with Metal Kickstand Case & Holster Combo for Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones