• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do not receive 100% of my texts on HTC Hero

SMStoMailbox Lite has worked for me. Would recommend it thoroughly to anyone else in this thread still having trouble and waiting for their incompetent network provider to help them.

Got a text last night to my email account but not to my phone, confirming it works though have absolutely no idea why this app can receive the messages but the phone itself does not!? Anyone more technically minded please feel free to step in if you have an explanation!

At least now I have a way to ensure what I am missing and to actually read those messages, but cannot help feeling this makes it all the more clear it is a software issue that should be easily resolvable.

Emailed TMobile customer services three days ago and am still waiting on a reply btw. :mad:

Would thoroughly recommend anyone here who hasn't done so already should get in touch with their network (or indeed HTC if you are still having the problem after the update) and give them a proper bollocking to let them know how pissed off you are as it seems to be the only way things get done!

Upvote 0
Yeah of the ropughly 30 messages I have received this week, about 10 of them have not made it to my phone but have still made it to my email thanks to smstomailbox.

I am pretty certain smstomailbox gets everything - it is actually an extremely robust app e.g. if you receive a "ghost sms" while you have no net connection and then turn your phone off before getting a connection, it still will send the message to your mailbox when you next turn your phone on. (respect to the developer)

Missing texts are literally a daily occurance to me. I wll try the new update over the weekend and will report back. I should know within a day or two.

And yes, this has to be a software rather than a hardware or network issue, no question.

Upvote 0
Actually the two people who have sent me texts that I havent received have both been on O2, I notice someone mentioned O2 above... Does this match other peoples experiences?

I have had this problem and it does seem to mostly be from my friends on o2. Although had hubby ask why I hadnt answered him and I never received the text. He is on orange though.

Upvote 0
Well this is quite interesting. I am getting my hero by friday unlocked. It is coming in the mail. I think the first thing im gonna do is root the phone and install the modaco rom. Sounds like the best experience.

I would advise against this - unless there is a specific benefit of having a 'rooted' phone that you are looking for (e.g. storing apps on the memory card).

Modaco's ROM is the same as the one that you can now download through the official HTC channels. To avoid any warranty ambiguities I would stick to the HTC update route - but like I say, that depends on what you're looking for. If you want "ROM with minimum of bugs" then the official HTC ROM on the website is equal to modaco's.

I personally wish I'd known that HTC were but 3 days away from releasing an update when I rooted mine as I don't use any of the other features of having a rooted handset other than the fact that I got the ROM a few days earlier.

Upvote 0
I would advise against this - unless there is a specific benefit of having a 'rooted' phone that you are looking for (e.g. storing apps on the memory card).

Modaco's ROM is the same as the one that you can now download through the official HTC channels. To avoid any warranty ambiguities I would stick to the HTC update route - but like I say, that depends on what you're looking for. If you want "ROM with minimum of bugs" then the official HTC ROM on the website is equal to modaco's.

I personally wish I'd known that HTC were but 3 days away from releasing an update when I rooted mine as I don't use any of the other features of having a rooted handset other than the fact that I got the ROM a few days earlier.

Did you ever have the issue of not receiving text messages? If so, is that why you rooted it? Or should the next firmware help regardless of modaco or not?

Upvote 0
Did you ever have the issue of not receiving text messages? If so, is that why you rooted it? Or should the next firmware help regardless of modaco or not?

Yeah - I did have the missing messages issue, but I haven't had it as bad as some of the other guys. On a day out in Whitby I missed something like 4/6 messages from my girlfriend ... but beyond that I haven't been aware of having missed any.

A couple of days after 'the Whitby incident' I rooted it out of paranoia and to date don't think I've missed any. I would have RMA'd the handset by now if I was confident that I was still missing them and that was why I rooted it, as a last last resort. I have installed SmsToMailbox Lite and that hasn't had any that I didn't receive.

I have found that the alarm clock is unreliable too - so watch out for that one :) I now put it into 'airplane mode' so that I don't get any SMS notifications overnight and it seems to work now - I think it was, ironically, the fact that I received a text message overnight that made my phone's clock 'hang' somehow so it didn't switch the alarm on in the morning. When I picked my phone up and 'woke it up' it flicked the clock to the correct time and sounded the alarm. Hilarious.

Upvote 0
No alarm clock issues from me. Except when I turn them off and fall back asleep! Why can't the Hero notice I am asleep and awaken me again!

Anyways, lots of issues that I read about stem from one of two things:
- Restoring a backup after applying a ROM update. This was always bad when I had a Windows Mobile phone and I can't imagine it being any better with Android.
- Using a task manager to kill processes. Again, pretty bad unless you have a good idea what it is you are killing. A process may do more than you think...

Upvote 0
No alarm clock issues from me. Except when I turn them off and fall back asleep! Why can't the Hero notice I am asleep and awaken me again!

Anyways, lots of issues that I read about stem from one of two things:
- Restoring a backup after applying a ROM update. This was always bad when I had a Windows Mobile phone and I can't imagine it being any better with Android.
- Using a task manager to kill processes. Again, pretty bad unless you have a good idea what it is you are killing. A process may do more than you think...

Was this post REALLY ??? related to lost txt msgs ... if it was ... it when clearly over my head ....

If you are referring to killing processing (is that in someone else post in the thread) as a solution ??? as a Problem ???

It would also help if you are commenting on another post ...to just click the quote button under their post ,,,and then add your comment ... then everyone will know what you are referring to ... (Hopefully ??? :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0
Hi,

Iv had the sms delay problem for nearly 2weeks on my HTC Hero, and have managed to elimate some causes:

• The problem occurs when receiving messages from ALL networks
  • I have changed the sim card which has not resolved the problem
  • I have changed the handset which has not resolved the problem
  • I am currently on Orange, and over the course of 2weeks have ran through every diagnostic check with them
  • I have done numerous factory resets (after advice from Orange!) and have also performed the ROM upgrade on both my new and old handsets.
All the above have not elimated the problem of the delayed sms delivery to my phone. I have noticed that it usually happens at night (after 11pm) and have managed to channel it down to only one possible reason: 3G CONNECTION!

Only when i am connected to the internet using 3G/HDSPA connection will i find that the sms delay problem occurs. When i disconnect the 3G connection, in theory, the sms should be "pushed" through. But this is not the case. I have to restart my phone or make a call just to give it a kick start.

Does anyone have any ideas how to eliminate this problem!! Or even a convenient method of "pushing" the sms through after i finish browsing, coz the restart on my HTC Hero takes ageeeeeeeeees!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones