• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Do not upgrade to 2.2, epic 4g/galaxy s

Y'all keep saying i got an unofficial release and all that. Will I still get the official release even though my about screen says android 2.2.1? Thanks.

In short...no.

You're obviously rooted to have 2.2.1, so unless you flash back to the "stock" Eclair, you won't get the official one through Sprint. You could certainly put the "official" one on your phone, you'd just have to do it yourself once it comes out. It'll be readily available considering all the rooted people will probably want to put the official release on their phones when it comes out.

This is covered, many many times, in length already.

Upvote 0
Your issues with Froyo are not guaranteed to be an issue for everyone. Android 2.2 for the epic is a leak and not an official release. Expect issues. If you can figure out workarounds or like challenges then take off the training wheels and give froyo a try.

I'm using Froyo, and have been since the very first leak. I've got a dictionary, no memory issues, working GPS with a fast lock and good accuracy, and Adobe Flash (Hulu, anyone?) to name a few pluses. My only complaint is that the battery life isn't nearly as good as the old 2.1 undervolted ACS rom I was using but that's a tradeoff I can work with since I don't need more than 8hours of battery life.

What you should be saying is that froyo isn't an official release which may have bugs and therefore may not be suitable for everyone...

Upvote 0
T
I'm sorry to say that I have not had any of the problems that you guys are speaking of. My only but was my GPS failed, but I found a link via xda-developers.com on fixing that. I have no gripes about the leked 2.2. I must say that i don't play Angry Birds and have noticed no major battery leakage overall, and I do quite a bit of texting, web surfing, phone calls, etc. I'm running TrulyEpic Froyo and am recently rooted. 2.2 is cool w/me.

Where do all get your Epic ROMs? I'm rooted & know a good deal about android & linux but have yet to find the majority of these ROMs .... Would love to try this"Truly Epic Froyo".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones