• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do we need a large beta test group?

Would the community benefit from a 'ready to test' group of available G1 beta application testers? I know you can post an app... but having a relatively large group of testers ready to review/feedback might benefit developers.

The idea is: a central repository lets willing testers join... app developers with beta versions can post for testing... testers download and provide feedback... for their effort they get the app for free once it is commercial.

Thoughts? Comments?

85% of the feedback from beta'd apps: FIX BUGZ, WHEN DO I GET IT FREE?

While it sounds good in theory, the ropes would have to be pulled fairly tight if a large group of devs wanted a beta program. Ways to disable the program after the beta period would need to be in place. A plethora of disclaimers that any screw up to the normal operation of the phone are not the monetary concern of the devs.

It would probably be beneficial to have it be invite only. You can apply for the program, but must be accepted into it.
I would agree, invite only.

Anyone else notice how many people have no idea (and apparently have no intention of learning) what a widget is? Every widget app I look at on the market has like every other comment saying "App dont werk, wont launch, fix!!!" and has a one-star rating. Or they say "can't find app except in downloads" and every single one of these is labeled "Widget".

How many times does someone have to download programs with the word "widget" in it's name, and have it not work the way before googling the word "widget" to find out what it means? /rant.

Upvote 0
I personally do not rate an app or a widget unless I really understand the app I'm trying to use. As well using it for 5minutes does not count as really doing a review.

I'll normally install an app try it and then come back to it later. If its not an app I find useful later then I don't keep it installed and well remove it, but I don't rate it lower because its not useful to me. Maybe its not what I need opposed to some others that rate an app low because they have install everything obscession.

Upvote 0
85% of the feedback from beta'd apps: FIX BUGZ, WHEN DO I GET IT FREE?

While it sounds good in theory, the ropes would have to be pulled fairly tight if a large group of devs wanted a beta program. Ways to disable the program after the beta period would need to be in place. A plethora of disclaimers that any screw up to the normal operation of the phone are not the monetary concern of the devs.

It would probably be beneficial to have it be invite only. You can apply for the program, but must be accepted into it.

Swizz - thanks for the constructive response. 'Good in theory' is enough for me for now... In response:

Developers would benefit from a large pool of willing testers (like 100 to start, then moving towards statistical reliability for projection across installed base)... through a bit of structure they could get useful development feedback (yes bugz, feature suggestions, usability) and also commercial viability (price, terms, value) like a test group and focus group at once.

WRT logistics - opt-in suggestion is perfect, legalese would simply remove all liability from developer... except must provide 'standard practice' ability to uninstall/remove...

My problem - how to collect willing testers into single site to start... I have posted in several forums and received many positive responses... but have to respond to each through private messages??? tired all over

If you or anyone is interested in helping:
- if willing to test, provide email address
- refer others to the thread to build interest
- become 'friend' (in future, group)

Any further feedback, suggestion, comment... would be appreciated.

Cheers.

email griff.blog@gmail.com

Upvote 0
Thanks to all of you that responded, offered feedback and especially those that emailed contact information to join. Here is an update, and an appeal for others to join as well.

The group is growing. Participants have joined the app test group from over ten forums representing four countries, six time zones, ages 14-55 and two devices to-date. All signed on by sending personal message or email to griff.blog@gmail.com. Those that did not send contact (email) information are not included in the testing group yet.

The appeal seems to be

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones