• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does the desire auto cache maps on 2.2

ndemeis

Oct 11, 2010
I am pretty close now to finally making my first android phone purchase. I have been between the Desire, Galaxy S and the Desire HD for the last month but have been really turned off by the small battery on the DHD and have just found I can get almost all the feature on the Desire with 2.2. One answer I couldnt find is does the froyo update for 2.2 have auto caching of the maps? I use my map a lot as I travel all over the city and this really intrigued me about the DHD. If not not a big deal but would make me order the phone right now:)

No they don't autocache. But it is an unfair comparison. The desire HD is running the new htc sense, which the older one doesn't have. It comes with a completely new app which uses tom tom maps and autocaches them (you have to pay to navigate with them). Whereas, that app isn't on the old desire's yet. It should be coming soon though.

If it's driving navigation you use a lot its not really a problem. I find google maps does excellently and is free (but 3g / hsdpa is kinda needed) . I assume you have a data connection if your considering buying these? It uses a very minimal amount...

And if you are using it for driving navigation, you can always buy copilot (or others...) for

Reactions: ndemeis
Upvote 0
I went with the Desire. Couldn't justify the DHD price for what I get. The desire was about 10,000r (210 pounds I think) cheaper and available now. I've read that the new sense will be coming to the Desire so I can wait for that. Love the phone so far but my browser isnt working (started a thread on that) Everything else has been great. Haven't upgraded to froyo yet though just downloaded it as my phone isnt finding the update.

Thanks for you response.

Upvote 0
Maverick is a nice app which uses google maps and several others. You can also create offline maps on the pc. All maps are cached to SD. I have put lots of OS maps on mine. I flip between these and Google maps within the app.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Although it uses google maps (amongst others) it doesnt have all the features of google maps. Great if you get caught short with no signal though. I use it lots for walking, cycling in the sticks . I use the proper google maps for towns, cities.

Reactions: Michael George
Upvote 0
I've used google satnav a few times and never had a problem, I don't know how much of the journey maps are downloaded up front, but I've never hit a blank area yet. Driving around in a city, you'll normally get excellent data speed so it's really not a worry.

I have to say, I'm disappointed with the map cache service that the new HTC Sense uses, I'd assumed you could download and save google maps, but clearly that's not the case.

Upvote 0
No they don't autocache. But it is an unfair comparison. The desire HD is running the new htc sense, which the older one doesn't have. It comes with a completely new app which uses tom tom maps and autocaches them (you have to pay to navigate with them). Whereas, that app isn't on the old desire's yet. It should be coming soon though.

If it's driving navigation you use a lot its not really a problem. I find google maps does excellently and is free (but 3g / hsdpa is kinda needed) . I assume you have a data connection if your considering buying these? It uses a very minimal amount...

And if you are using it for driving navigation, you can always buy copilot (or others...) for

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones