• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't want Hangouts; any way to stop getting notifications about the app?

I don't yet use Talk, but have read many complaints about the program Google decided to replace it with, Hangouts. It would appear that Talk is a much more user-friendly program, just an all around better implementation than Hangouts, according to those who have used both apps.

I keep getting a notification that Hangouts, a replacement for Talk, is available; is there a way to stop getting these notifications, or is Google just going to wear me down until I install the darn thing? :p

Holly

Not sure what other folks complain about Hangouts. I personally love it. :)
In terms of disabling notifications for an update, you can go into settings in the Play Store and disable notifications for updates. Unfortunately, this only works for ALL apps, not just particular ones. You could at certain intervals, go into Play and look at what apps need to be updated when you'd like to.

Upvote 0
I'm with you OakIris, I don't like Hangouts either.

I realise there's always going to be bloat on any phone that I am not interested in and my HTC One, Note 3, SGS2 and even my iPhone have it, albeit different apps on each.

My app updates only happen whilst I am on wifi, to avoid these unwanted apps eating up my meagre UK data allowance. I've just learnt to live with the notifications as nothing more than merely another message that needs to be swiped away.

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Hey there!

If you don't use it, what's the harm in letting it be upgraded?

I'm just curious, what bad things have you heard about it?

True - I don't use any sort of "chat" app at this time - guess I am one of the few that doesn't spend my day glued to my cell phone. :p - so replacing Talk with Hangouts won't make much of a difference to me at this time. But, thinking of the future - things change, after all - if I DID want to use such an app, like most folks, I would prefer using one that works well and does what I want it to do. Obviously, the best thing to do is to try it out for myself. lol If I don't like it, it is easy enough to go into Hangouts and uninstall updates so that the app will roll back to Talk.

The two major complaints I have read about - and perhaps these have been fixed by now? - are that 1) you don't have control of your chat contact list - everyone you email ends up on your Hangouts contact list, not just those people that you would actually want or need to chat with and 2) you can't see who is on or off line, busy or available. I'm not sure why not having current status for your contacts is such a problem - after all, even if your contact is on line when you send them a message, it doesn't mean that she/he would respond immediately anyway - but it seems to be a big negative about the program in the eyes of many.

Here is a thread that mentions various problems others have with the app: The new Hangouts. Am I missing something?

As far as updates are concerned, it is too bad that Google has an "all or nothing" approach, at least on Play Store. Too bad you can't selectively choose the apps for which you don't want to receive update notifications.

I see from the responses to my post that there are others that do indeed like the program, so that is encouraging. And, as I said, perhaps most of the "problems" commented upon have been fixed by now. :)

Holly

Upvote 0
I keep getting a notification that Hangouts, a replacement for Talk, is available; is there a way to stop getting these notifications, or is Google just going to wear me down until I install the darn thing? :p

Holly

Hi there Holly!

If your device information is up to date and correct.. you do not have to keep Hangouts/Talk installed if you're rooted. Once it's uninstalled you shouldn't get any more nag reminders from Google Play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones