• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Download in progress. Do not Disconnect Cable"

shamity

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
So a couple days ago I got this message and the phone has been useless since.

I was not rooting/did not root/have never rooted/don't even know what rooting means.

Here is what happened:

Phone died, I charged it.
After about 30 mins, I tried to turn it on while still plugged in. Nothing happened.
I switched outlets, nothing.
I left it alone for about an hour.
Tried to turn it on again, started up fine.
Texted my husband, received one back.
About 30 mins later, phone was frozen, black screen, bottom keys lit up.
Could not get it to do anything. Took out battery and replaced it.
Plugged it in and started it up.
Got the message you see above.

Best Buy said it was out of warranty and could not fix it.
I called VM and they said the only thing I could do was a reset but I would lose all data (no sim card).

I know nothing about this stuff in general but I do know I don't want to lose my data in my phone nor do I want to buy a new phone if possible. I have searched and searched for a solution but everything is for people who have rooted their phones and they are seriously above my head.

Is it possible I pressed something by mistake when I first tried to turn it on? I really don't think I did, but... I'm telling you, I am dumb about this stuff. I despise this phone but I really don't have the cash for another one. Plus I want my pictures.

Thanks very much!

Thanks. I have done all that at this point. Oddly the cable was not attached when it originally said "do not disconnect cable" so that was worrisome. I have since tried it with and without the cable and same result. I have popped the battery in and out several times now.

Worried it's not looking good.

Upvote 0
So it's either a software or hardware issue. You could try doing the unbrick procedure to see if it's fixable if you feel comfortable doing it. Link below is to unbrick thread

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5050955

If you try the above and it's not successful or you don't feel comfortable doing the above and you've had phone less than 1 year, call VM and go thru the troubleshooting and they should send you a new phone.

Reactions: drug
Upvote 0
I am not sure that there is any solution that will allow you to retain your data and apps. If it will not boot (start up), then I know of no way to do a hard factory reset. If you can get the phone to boot, perform a factory reset (Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset > follow prompts). Again, you will lose all data, but it should eliminate any possible software issues.

You may try turning the phone off, plugging into a charger, turn the phone back on and unplugging it from the charger as soon a the LG logo appears. This may do a soft reset on the phone. Again, you may lose your data stored on the phone. I accidentally did this once and it blew me back to the stock Virgin Mobile screens, but I cannot remember if I lost my data and apps. I do not see anything in the manual about it.

I suspect it is a hardware problem since you have not rooted the phone, though it is possible that some software or an app has gone rogue.

Talk to Virgin Mobile about a getting replacement phone. They replaced my Optimus Elite last summer when it was just about a month over the year warranty, and I had purchased it at Best Buy. You may try emailing their customer service department, too. They may play loose with the warranty date to retain a customer.

Though none of this gets your pictures back...

EDIT: Two other thoughts:

Can you plug the phone into your computer and get it to recognize your phone as an external drive? You may be able to copy your pictures over to your computer. The photos are stored in one of the file folders.

It also occurred to me that when a phone battery goes bad, it is sudden and causes strange things to happen. The fact you you had problems after charging is making me throw this idea into the mix.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
GAH my computer won't recognize the phone. Tried Android File Transfer software and still nothing, it is saying I should plug in an Android device but it is plugged in. Wondering if this is the end. Great suggestion though - thanks! :)

So are you thinking maybe I should try another battery? My battery has been dying faster with each passing month - I have been needing to charge it 2-3 times a day just for normal texts, calls and one or two visits to an app.

Thanks again for all the input

Upvote 0
The battery going bad is a real possibility. You may be able to get Best Buy to try another battery for you to see if that is the cause. If it is the cause, maybe you can get them to download the pics for you if you buy a new phone from them. And if you do that, then get their cheapest 4G LTE model. The 3G phones are going to be going away soon. Stick with Virgin Mobile, if you like. Maybe you can get it on Best Buy's 6 months-same-as-cash plan.

In other words, unless you can get a new battery cheap (maybe online), put the money into a new 4G LTE phone rather than a new battery. (Invest in a memory card while you are at it, too.)

Again, Good Luck!

Upvote 0
same thing here ..but I had my vm elite rooted for over a year ..it kinda froze and got lil mad and went to robot it like I always do ..that's y I had to get a new phone but I went to robot and I was hittin tha menu bar fast cuz I was kinda mad and this happned...please help sumbody I can't lose this phone got way to much numbers and things on it . thanks !!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones