• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downside to purchasing through Wirefly?

Honestly I don't understand the b**** thats been going on in this thread. Wirefly could of ignored this thread altogether and not help anyone.

Stock of EVOs are low, so you can't be upset that your order is not being filled. Me personally I ordered it on launch day and I received my EVO without a hitch.

I give wirefly two thumbs up based on my experience anyway.

Upvote 0
Honestly I don't understand the b**** thats been going on in this thread. Wirefly could of ignored this thread altogether and not help anyone.

Stock of EVOs are low, so you can't be upset that your order is not being filled. Me personally I ordered it on launch day and I received my EVO without a hitch.

I give wirefly two thumbs up based on my experience anyway.
yeah. you might have but some of us ordered it on the launch date and STILL don't have our phones.... mine hasn't even SHIPPED YET... it's still "awaiting stock".... 2 thumbs down.....

Upvote 0
I called CS to exchange my Evo due to a dead pixel. Will this affect/slow the Bing cb process? The CS rep was also kind of vague as to how the activation would work on the 2nd Evo. Will it be auto-activated, or do I have to call Sprint to activate? The original Evo couldn't activate after 5 tries. Also, do I get bumped up in priority when you get new stock of Evos? Thanks for the additional info.

Upvote 0
[....] some of us ordered it on the launch date and STILL don't have our phones.... mine hasn't even SHIPPED YET... it's still "awaiting stock".... 2 thumbs down.....

same here, 4am PDT Friday order, same day sprint approval, but still no phone and no acknowledgement/explanation of the delays from the Wirefly reps in this thread (or the call center guys I've been chatting with.)

The quality of the Wirefly support processes and the care of their support staff gets tested when something goes wrong, not when all's fine (as it should!) or when they just address sales questions.

MrX8503 got his order handled properly, yay for that, but the volume of problems reported here by others should have already answered the original topic of this thread :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
MrX8503 got his order handled properly, yay for that, but the volume of problems reported here by others should have already answered the original topic of this thread :rolleyes:
Volumes is a slight exaggeration isn't it? The same 4 people complaining over and over for their bad experience isn't much of a volume vs their sold out allocation. The thread was "downside" not upside, should we have a thread for all the happy people? I bet their are more than 4 happy people that got phones from Wirefly.
I got my order delivered yesterday on West coast, and mine was placed @ 12:26am Eastern time. I wanted to make sure i had the best chance as mentioned in this post before it even went on sale. If the phone was so important, people should ordered earlier. Resellers do not control when SPRINT approves, that seems to be what people really are complaining about. Took over 12 hrs for them to approve me, i could easily been to late because of this.

Upvote 0
Resellers do not control when SPRINT approves, that seems to be what people really are complaining about.

if it's only 4 people with problems how did you fail to notice that their situation actually wasn't with sprint activation delays but rather with problems porting numbers, wrong shipping options, bcb errors, or in my case no explanation here at all!

One CSR on the phone was telling me they shipped a single phone (for a family plan -- even though you can't activate a single-line family plan!) and another that actually the Wirefly system has a glitch and no phone has actually been shipped. Since Monday they've been 'escalating' the issue, reassuring me that somebody from higher up will contact me in 12-24h, but noone does. Another CSR asked me to return the single phone that they shipped 'in error', before they can send out the 'correct' batch of 2 phones -- then when I asked for any proof/tracking of the first phone having been shipped they couldn't locate any. Finally yet another CSR mentioned my card would be charged unless I returned the 'ghost' handset.

Care to see more than 8 pages of discussion about Wirefly? Head over to SD where the thread is alerady >40.

After all these days to me all that sounds like a pretty screwed up way to run an operation and I don't see how it relates to the out-of-stock situation or sprint delaying the activations.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to report that I was one of those who ordered at the $169 price, but who was then charged an extra $20 when the agent adjusted my order (single line upgrade on a family plan). I spoke with an online agent yesterday night, and they credited me back my $20 this morning. :)

Also, unfortunately, my EVO had a backlight issue. It isn't the more common, negligible issue that a lot of people have reported, where there's a little leakage below the capacitive buttons. My screen actually looks like it's warped a little, and bright light is leaking onto one corner of the screen:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8861/p1000324small.jpg

That's a pic of someone else's phone, but it's almost exactly the same issue that's present on mine.

Unfortunately, Wirefly could not issue an advanced exchange for me (they ship out a new phone first, with a $250 deposit charged, which is then refunded when they receive the defective phone), since they don't have the phone in stock. So, I'm having to do a traditional exchange (I ship in the phone first, and when they receive it in a week, I'll be placed on the backorder list for the phone). That kind of sucks, and I'd asked them if I could just do the advanced exchange option, which would place me on the backorder list earlier (by today) instead of waiting until my defective phone arrives in their hands (in about a week) to be placed on the backorder list. Unfortunately, the agent informed me that that wasn't possible

Lastly, like many people, I also had trouble activating my phone, even after 24 hours. In my case, that's been a good thing, since I had to send my defective EVO back. Otherwise, I would have been without service for the next few weeks!!! (time to ship back my EVO from California + time waiting on the backorder list + time waiting on a new EVO to be delivered back to California). It seems as if I'll still have to wait that long, but hopefully my old phone will continue to work because my EVO never succeeded to accomplish the auto handsfree activation.

In summary, I've had a mixed experience.

1. Wirefly initially charged me more than I was told, because their online system did not allow for an easy single line upgrade on a family plan.
2. The presence of Wirefly agents here and at other forums has been reassuring and helpful.
3. They eventually refunded the $20 difference, and besides, with Bing cashback, it's a great deal! :)
4. I've had activation issues.
5. Since I have a defective version of a really popular phone, I'm out of luck and am going to have to wait at least a couple weeks to receive a replacement, meanwhile risking my existing phone being cut off as the EVO is being activated.

So overall, Wirefly does offer an amazing price, and my experience with customer service has overall been good. However, under certain circumstances like mine (defective unit, sold-out phone), my purchase with Wirefly can/has become a major inconvenience. I purchased another one of my EVO's from Best Buy, and while I paid about $100 more (after taxes), it was extremely convenient, and if I'd had issues with that phone, I could have just brought it directly back to the store for an immediate exchange (I'd have to wait for them to get the phone back in stock, but wouldn't have to spend the extra time waiting for shipping both ways).

I hope this helps as people decide where to purchase the phone from. I suggest going with Wirefly if you're looking for the absolute best price, but would also recommend a storefront like Best Buy or Radio Shack if you're looking for the most convenient experience.

:)

Upvote 0
I placed my orders a few days ago. Ari, did your new stock arrive today as expected? Hopefully you'll be able to plow through the back log :)

Hey Haner, we've been getting as much stock in as we can as fast as possible (every couple of days) -- and shipping it all out within a couple hours of its arrival. Keep us posted, and let us know when your EVO ships -- it should be soon!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones