• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID Bionic And Accessory Bundle Costco Discussion Thread (Including Q&A from YankeeDudeL)

Will this Costco deal work for me? I'm on a family plan, my wife is the account holder, and I'm due for an upgrade. I have a DX.

Thanks guys.

If your upgrade is a qualified upgrade (20 month upgrade), then absolutely. We can't do the one year upgrades (usually given to only the primary account holder) or the NE2.

Sorry if I missed it - I read through but do we think that Costco will have a pre order too?

and do you need to have the ad to get that deal? It says across the top "bring to kiosk."

Thanks.

Sorry, we don't do preorders. This is do to the fact that we have a rather limited stock and manpower.

As for the flyer, I believe they're going to post that near the entrance or some place else quite visable to give you incentive to stop by the kiosk. This is more for people who don't scour the web like we do. You won't need it as this isn't a coupon. I can't say 100%, but I am under the impression that the only way to purchase the Bionic is going to be with the accessories.

Upvote 0
There's been an awful lot of excitement about Costco's Droid Bionic bundle, and why wouldn't there be? For the same price you could pay for the Bionic in a VZW store you're going to get an extra batter and battery charger, desktop cradle, car cradle, car charger, leather carrying case, and (most likely) screen protectors. Not to mention we'll educate you on how to use your new phone (not that anyone here would have trouble with that ;)), and not try to push you out the door just so we can get to the next customers.

Since I've been getting a slew of (very welcomed) questions, I figured it'd be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to answering these questions. I'll still answer your questions in other threads and PMs, but I'm thinking it'd be helpful to have as many of these questions here for the next person with the same inquiry.

As the Bionic bundle has spurred this, I felt it more than ok to have this thread here. If a mod god or wise guide wants to cross post this, I wouldn't have an issue with that.

EDIT: I do want to add that this is not "my" thread. We have a lot of knowledgeable members here, so I encourage everyone to chime in when you can help someone. If something is inaccurate or I (or any other Costco WSEs or Verizon reps) can add, we'll do so. One love. lol

Upvote 0
I just got approved for an upgrade today, can Costco look at account details and see that I am eligible? I have had problems with my Droid Charge and a rep noted on my account that I can sign a new 2 year contract and take advantage of discount pricing. My actual upgrade date is not until 1/03/13 so I am not sure if Costco can honor that.

Also how does Costcos wireless store work? Do you need a membership to buy stuff from the mobile department or is it like BJs and and it does not matter? If I am able to make my purchase from Costco I am more then willing to buy a membership but just checking if it is necessary.

Upvote 0
I just received a question in PMs that spurred this, and I think it's important to rehash it here. The question was in reference to nonmembers of Costco who wish to purchase there, and whether or not we verify ID.

Of course, we're going to verify that you are the account holder or authorized user. Wouldn't want just anyone buying a phone on your account, using your upgrade, and walking away with a cheaper phone. This is also why we can't check your status or do orders over the phone. And if we did, would you want to do business with us?

When you purchase a phone from us, you pay for your device at the Costco cash registers. You do need your Costco card to pay for anything you purchase. Costco cards do have picture identification on them, and they are supposed to be checked each and every time. Does that happen every time? I highly doubt it, but do you want to risk a trip to Costco and not coming home with a phone? Whoever the card belongs to must be present. Will you get away with it if they're not? Maybe. But I'm an employee, what do you want me to say? :D

We're always going to beat the price of phones and give you better value then going to any carrier's corporate store. The reason being is that this is a member benefit for Costco. Costco purchases the inventory from the carriers, and can therefore set there price for their members.

As long as you're with a card-carrying member, you will have no issue and will be just as welcomed to purchase your Bionic.

Reactions: rcaine and jroc
Upvote 0
I just got approved for an upgrade today, can Costco look at account details and see that I am eligible? I have had problems with my Droid Charge and a rep noted on my account that I can sign a new 2 year contract and take advantage of discount pricing. My actual upgrade date is not until 1/03/13 so I am not sure if Costco can honor that.

Also how does Costcos wireless store work? Do you need a membership to buy stuff from the mobile department or is it like BJs and and it does not matter? If I am able to make my purchase from Costco I am more then willing to buy a membership but just checking if it is necessary.

We can check to see your eligibility as we use the same system Verizon does. You do, however, have to be present in the store as we cannot verify ID over the phone. If it's noted, we may be able to, but I can't guarantee that we will be. You don't have to be a member to come talk to us, so you can come in and check. You do need to be a member (or with a member) to purchase the phone, however.

Reactions: moondrius
Upvote 0
thanks - great idea Yankeedude!

2 questions:

1. do I need the ad to get the deal? (I see across the top it says to bring to kiosk" and

2. will costco do preorders? I'm thinking that if they don't is there any chance they WON'T have them on release day? I'd hate to not preorder and then have to wait to get one because Costco didn't have them on game day.

Upvote 0
For those without CostCo Memberships, you can purchase items without a membership by having another CostCo Member purchase a CostCo gift card for you.

Now that is a great question that I can't answer 100%. I would imagine so, as a Costco gift card would be incentive to get potential new members. I will have to double check with my KM tomorrow.

Upvote 0

2 questions:

1. do I need the ad to get the deal? (I see across the top it says to bring to kiosk" and

2. will costco do preorders? I'm thinking that if they don't is there any chance they WON'T have them on release day? I'd hate to not preorder and then have to wait to get one because Costco didn't have them on game day.

1) I've asked Yankee that in a PM, and he said you do not. Simply walk up to the counter and ask about it I guess and you'll get the deal.

2) From what I've gathered they do not since Store inventory and Online inventory are 2 separate things for them. Also if they sell out at the Kiosk, they cannot just "Order it online" to ship to you.

Can this deal be purchased online?

See #2 Above :)

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
We can check to see your eligibility as we use the same system Verizon does. You do, however, have to be present in the store as we cannot verify ID over the phone. If it's noted, we may be able to, but I can't guarantee that we will be. You don't have to be a member to come talk to us, so you can come in and check. You do need to be a member (or with a member) to purchase the phone, however.

I just went online and added my husband as an account manager.

He should be able to go to Costco now and upgrade my phone, right? :D He works much closer to one than I do.

Upvote 0

2 questions:

ThatGuy is correct, you won't need the flyer to purchase. That looks like it's going to be a flyer in store either near the entrance or in another well visible spot to entice customers who otherwise aren't aware of the offer to see us at the kiosk. It's expected that the Bionic and accessory bundle will need to be purchased together, so the flyer won't be necessary.

Sorry, we don't do preorders. This is do to the fact that we have a rather limited stock and manpower. Extra incentive to come see us bright and early, though!

Can this deal be purchased online?

Again, ThatGuy was spot on. We have phones that are available for purchase online, but they are not phones we sell in the store. When you come across one we do sell, it says to come in to the store for purchase. For example, we do not sell Sprint phones at the kiosk, but you can buy the HTC Evo 3D on Costco's website.

In store, we can do two diff types of purchases: stock inventory and home delivery. If a phone is home delivery, we don't have that particular phone in stock and has to be mailed to you (still has to be bought in store). If a phone is stock inventory and we run out, we have to wait until the next shipment arrives.

Reactions: MtnbikerChk
Upvote 0
If your upgrade is a qualified upgrade (20 month upgrade), then absolutely. We can't do the one year upgrades (usually given to only the primary account holder) or the NE2.

Yeah its a qualified upgrade. What do I need to have or bring with me for this deal? Since I will most likely be purchasing it alone and my wife is the primary account holder.

Thanks man!

Upvote 0
Will all Costco stores have this on morning of 9/8? If not, is there some way to check inventory/delivery?

My local costco mobile booth guys aren't very friendly or easy to work with. They won't even talk to you unless you're buying a phone right then and there.

I've tried to ask them about the Bionic they just ignore me.

Upvote 0
Hello, I have a few questions regarding Costco and the Verizon store.

1) I needed a phone so I bought the X2 at the Verizon store. My return policy expires on sept. 10. Would it be possible to return the phone on the day Bionic comes out at the Verizon store (if its Sept 8 of course) and then go directly to Costco and buy the bionic there with the accessory bundle?

2) Will Costco have the Bionic day one?

3) As there is a 90 day return policy, can I go there and exchange it out for one of the rumored holiday super-phones such as the Droid Prime or HTC Vigor?

4) If i return the bionic, would all of the accessories need to be returned in order to get a refund?

and lastly 5) Is it frowned upon to go and return a two month old phone to buy the latest and greatest? It seems kind of greedy but after all it is in Costco's policy and I do pay to shop there.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!:)

Upvote 0

Yeah its a qualified upgrade. What do I need to have or bring with me for this deal? Since I will most likely be purchasing it alone and my wife is the primary account holder.

Thanks man!

I'd imagine you're going to be an authorized user on the account. If you are, your social would work, but have your wife's handy. Some people also have their accounts password protected, so see if she added one and what it might be.

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones