• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Insurance

I got my phone at best buy. I got their insurance. 10 bucks a month, but no deductible, not even for water damage, they give you new phones, not refurbs, and when you submit your claim in store, they give you a loaner phone to use until your replacement arrives. I chose this cause i work in a kitchen and the water sensors are way overly sensitive. On a blackberry i had, the M buton didnt work and sprint wouldn't replace it under insurance because the sensor on the back had gotten water on it. They wanted a 100 dollar deductable for a refurb phone, you can find a curve (what i was replacing) cheaper than that on craigslist, wait the 30 or 60 days, then just get a new one under insurance.

But you have 0% coverage if it is lost or stolen , correct?

Upvote 0
But you have 0% coverage if it is lost or stolen , correct?

I think i actually do have coverage if it is lost or stolen. Bestbuy has revamped their insurance program. I had bought a different phone from them over a year ago and didn't get the coverage through them cause it was garbage. I could be wrong though. Not really a big deal cause i normally break/mutilate my phones through being a clutz before i have owned them long enough to lose it or have it stolen. I have alreade dropped my droid probably 20 times.

Upvote 0
=GrandMasterB;179536]But you have 0% coverage if it is lost or stolen , correct?

The lost or stolen coverage pushed me over the edge to buy the vzw insurance. "Lost" nearly afflicted me on a previous device, and 'stolen' has happened to too many people in my immediate circle of friends/neighborhood/building I work in. (I'm on the edge of a college campus and break-ins, strong-arm muggings, and outright assaults are getting stupidly common these days.)

89$ for a new phone, not having to worry about handing it over, and an offhand chance to geolocate whoever ended up with the old one? Hells yeah, that's worth the 8$/month.

Upvote 0
I contacted my State Farm agent this morning and no dice. Apparently the cell phone coverage is a state or regional thing. She verified that my state (NC) does not offer this coverage for cell phones, regardless of the value. She even contacted her State Farm underwriter to confirm.

Search for decent insurance continues...
My State Farm Agent told me the same thing for Kansas.

Upvote 0
Can't get State Farm coverage for my Droid in FL either.

Here's my post from another thread:

Square Trade Warranty might be an option since State Farm is not available...
Square Trade has a special package for cell phones.
2 years $77 plus tax
includes
basic coverage - any electrical/mechanical failure (no deductible)
accidental failure - drops, spills ($50 deductible)
100% parts and labor
$399 coverage limit

For every *accidental* claim, upon approval, there is a $50 deductible.

Must send in purchase receipt. (Email or fax)

If it cannot be repaired, they will issue payment of $399 - $50 deductible = $349. A replacement Droid will cost about $550 to $600.

Does not cover theft, loss, negligent use. Negligent use - throwing phone or inappropriate use, etc.

Upvote 0
my experience was just like Arron (started the thread).

I always had Assurion, but when my 2 month old Treo755 got smashed, they sent me a different Treo with a noticeably smaller screen. Once I got our State's Attorney in touch with them they suddenly and inexplicably found a nice new "discontinued" 755 to send me.

I live in too beautiful a place to let even more people find out about, and I enjoy spending time in, on, and near fairly deep salt water. I "lost" a bunch of keys a couple years ago, but haven't YET dropped a phone or PDA into the drink that wasn't inside something that floated. I guess I need to look into that "lost" coverage category.

Upvote 0
I talked to my insurance (American Family) and my cell would be covered if I had renters/Home owners insurance. But, I don't have that at the moment until we get into our house. :(

Just remember that casualty insurance does NOT cover you if the phone just dies. Remember also that ANY claim on your homeowners insurance has the potential of raising your rates far beyond any benefit you would get by submitting a claim to them. Insuring something that is as inexpensive as a cellphone on a casualty insurance policy is foolish. Most people save a ton of money by requesting a high deductible on their homeowner's policy. I have a $1000 deductible and it saves me $270/year. I'm going 9 years without a claim. That's over $2000 saved.

Upvote 0
Apparently I am the only one who purchased my phones through the Phandroid store. I picked up my Droid for 150 bucks and my wifes Eris was free. I did purchase the offered insurance for 50 bucks per phone and now I am starting to be concerned because no one else seems to have this insurance. Here is the info they sent me:

Mobile Device Protection Association LLC
Membership Verification

Dear New Member,

Congratulations on your recent phone purchase and welcome to Mobile Device Protection Association (MDPA)! As part of your membership you are entitled to certain benefits.

By purchasing MDPA membership your new wireless handset and accessories are protected from theft and accidental damage.

What is included? The entire phone and original electronic accessories provided in the phone box are included for repair or replacement with no deductible. Eligible devices are protected from accidental damage, theft, malfunction or loss up to the liability limit of $300. A police report may be requested for a lost or stolen cell phone.

What is provided? Included with your membership, you receive repair/replacement cell phone benefits and access to other special membership benefits including discounted services, travel and entertainment privileges.

What is excluded? The loss, real or perceived of data, time, financial opportunity, or any other consequence arising from the loss of the use of the wireless device, normal wear and tear, inventory shortage, dishonest or malicious acts, cosmetic damage (ex. marring, scratching), negligent loss, liquid damage, pervasive corrosion, loss or unexplained disappearance or voluntary surrender to a third party, loss in a body of water, theft from an unattended premises or vehicle not reasonably secured, in transit either through postal or courier services, or incidences occurring outside the continental US or Canada are not included with this service.

For additional membership benefits visit www.mobiledeviceprotection.com and click on the MDPA Benefits Section where you will find discounts for car rentals, hotels, Omaha Steaks, and much, much more! At this time, to promote safe driving, we have a special for our members with Voice on the Go. Voice on the Go gives you hands-free and eyes-free access to your email, SMS, calendar, contacts, Twitter, Facebook and more...from any mobile phone all by Voice. If you would like to try it free for 15 days, please click www.voiceonthego.com/mdpa.

Please feel free to contact us any time at by visiting our website at www.mobiledeviceprotection.com.

Did I get ripped off?

Upvote 0
Guy at the VZW store told me that the $5.99 insurance wouldn't be honored on Smartphones any more, so I switched. (I'd already had the $5.99 from my previous BB Pearl.)

If he was either uninformed or just looking for a sale and I could have grandfathered the $5.99 I'm gonna be unhappy...

Anyone know for sure what's the truth here?

They let me keep my $5 plan. The other droid we got got the $8.

Upvote 0
Is that insurance $50 per month or $50 per year? Per year sounds like you got a fair deal.

Apparently I am the only one who purchased my phones through the Phandroid store. I picked up my Droid for 150 bucks and my wifes Eris was free. I did purchase the offered insurance for 50 bucks per phone and now I am starting to be concerned because no one else seems to have this insurance

Upvote 0
I think i actually do have coverage if it is lost or stolen. Bestbuy has revamped their insurance program. I had bought a different phone from them over a year ago and didn't get the coverage through them cause it was garbage. I could be wrong though. Not really a big deal cause i normally break/mutilate my phones through being a clutz before i have owned them long enough to lose it or have it stolen. I have alreade dropped my droid probably 20 times.

Nope, you lose the phone or it get's stolen, you're SoL. Best Buy's plan does not include stolen or lost phone. If you're phone is submerge in water, that is not cover either. As for the loaner, you will have to put down a $150 deposit until you return the phone.

You only get a new phone if they determine the phone is gonna cost more to repair it then the retail's price. I will be canceling my plan with Best Buy after reading this thread. They took 38 days to fix someone's phone.

Best Buy Cell Phone "insurance" - Best Buy Forum

Upvote 0
It depends on the phone really. My Storm I purchased on Ebay with no contract and used it for a good 6 months or so, longest I have kept the same phone. I still have it & love it. I also recently payed full retail for a purple Motorola Rival for my wife because it was only $219 full retail from Verizon and imo not worth signing a contract for.

I usually have between 3-5 lines on my family plan all up for an upgrade at various times annually. If some amazing new phone comes out and I dont have a line up for upgrade I may sell some things on Ebay to produce the funds. I should also note that I am not above begging my wife for permission to buy a new phone either. :D

We have a similar setup and I'm with you on approach: a little begging to Her is a small price to pay for the best gadgets...

Upvote 0
I went through my State Farm agent that I have my home and car with.

It was about $35/year, no deductible on claims, covers all the normal non-warranty kinds of things: lost, damaged, stolen, dropped in toilet, etc...

Its a "Personal Articles" policy.

This is a great suggestion -- I should of thought of it before -- it's a similar situation to rental car insurance: most personal car insurance policies cover you, so why buy it from the rental company, especially at the rates they charge.

Granted, we may have to pay a little more for a scheduled item like a phone, but you can't beat the rates & terms!!

Many thanks cybercruiser!

Upvote 0
I would like to get SquareTrade insurance for my Android but their signup screen says to enter the price paid.

Of course I got it as part of an upgrade so the price paid does not reflect the $600 replacement cost.

Does anyone have experience with Squaretrade insurance and how to deal with this situation?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones