• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Maxx to Droid Turbo 2

smacksy

Jun 1, 2015
This might be sorta off topic but I'm due for an upgrade and I was looking at the turbo 2.. I've been with Verizon since 2009 and basically have had all Motorola phones, and I was wondering what you folks might think about the overall quality of the turbo 2 and would you think it would be a good upgrade from the Droid Maxx. Appreciate your comments, Thanks!

This was made a new thread.

I think the Maxx to Turbo 2 is an excelled upgrade. The Maxx is limited to 4.4.4 and the Turbo 2 is going to 6.x and beyond.

The quality of the Turbo 2 is excellent. This is BTW the phone that survived the 800' drop onto pavement.

There was an apparent manufacturing defect where vertical lines appeared on the screen. When these show up Motorola has replaced the device.

There was concern about the screen scratching. The top layer of the screen is a clear plastic lens that is replaceable. These can be found at Motorola and Verizon.

Consider an added policy for water damage ... it is not covered by the standard Motorola or Verizon warranties.

... Thom

Reactions: smacksy and kmf
Upvote 0
That's the same upgrade path I took- upgraded my Maxx to a Turbo 2 when the battery life started going south.
Overall, my experience with the T2 has been excellent. It has everything I loved about the Maxx plus it adds a SD card slot and bigger screen! Battery life is a little disappointing for me, but if you buy a couple of QuickCharge compatible chargers, they make it super easy to quickly top off your battery when necessary.

Reactions: smacksy
Upvote 0
Just to toss in my 2 cents...
I did not have a Maxx but I did decide to go with the Droid Turbo 2 in mid December. I will say I did a LOT of research and ruled out at the time the following phones:
1) Samsung S6 - battery life is pathetic, barely lasts a work day if that
2) Moto Pure - Seemed to big
3) Nexus 6P - this is supposedly the hot phone out there, but is huge and I didn't love the look

Overall for me the Droid Turbo 2 was the best match for my wants and needs. After about 2 months I will say I LOVE the phone. I have not run into one issue or problem. I love the wireless charging, love the quick charging, Micro SD card option is nice.

you will not get 48 hours out of the battery, but I think you should be able to get through a whole day (6/7am - 10pm). If you have a chance sometime during the day to plug in a quick charger for 15-30 minutes you should easily be ok.

Price wise, you should be able to get the phone for ~$334. $634 list price but you should get $100 upgrade credit and should be able to trade in old device for $200 credit. doesn't even need to be your Maxx, and working smartphone will work.

PS my wife has the Maxx 2 and loves it as well. But the Turbo 2 is a bit better phone between the two

Upvote 0
Yikes, I just looked. I think you are right. It does look like you could get at least $100. but maybe $200 - $300 depending on the phone you have.

Honestly RIGHT NOW (i.e. today) does not look like the best time to get a Droid Turbo 2. It has been on sale before for $100 off. I have seen the $200 trade in offer for ANY smartphone (I traded in a 4+ year old HTC Incredible for example).
If one can wait, I would wait a few weeks and watch for better deals.

Here is what I did see when I chose the Turbo 2:

Add a Droid Turbo 2, Maxx 2 or Turbo with monthly device payments to your cart.
    1. Complete your trade-in appraisal during checkout. When prompted, click “trade in old device.” You will be taken to the device recycling page to appraise your old smartphone. See trade-in values below:
    2. $100 for any smartphone.
    • $200 for iPhone 5s, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Droid Turbo 2 or Droid Turbo.
    • $300 for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+, Samsung Galaxy Note5 or LG V10.

Upvote 0
I am thinking about ditching the m9 for the t2 and I have a few questions not really worth starting a new thread.

How do these speakers compare to the m8/m9? I understand they are mono? I am just curious if the speakers are clear I watch a lot of you tube on my phone.

Does it have an ir blaster?
Is the battery removable?
When will Verizon upgrade to marshmallow?

Thank you

Upvote 0
some answers:
1) I LOVE my DT2. I think it is one of the better devices available. The others would be perhaps the Moto X Pure, Nexus 6P and while I have never seen it the new Samsung S7 looks nice (but $$$)
2) Speaker is very clear and I think would work. I doubt it will be as good as the m8/m9 if those are stereo speakers though.
3) I am not sure about the IR blaster. I think no
4) Battery is NOT removable. But it lasts forever. I usually go 6am-11pm with medium heavy usage and end up at 45-50% left. also wireless charging and turbo
5) Supposedly it was supposed to update earlier this week. they just did the soak test and many are expecting it any day now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones