• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ajacob19

Lurker
Jul 25, 2013
Hey everyone! I got the Droid Razr HD on Tuesday (not the Maxx). I know the the advertised usage time is 24 hours, and the real common usage time is around 13 hours. Most people say they still end up with 50-80% battery left even after 13ish hours of moderate to heavy use. I'm worried about the battery life. It doesn't seem that great, and it's draining pretty fast. When I first got it on Tuesday around 7pm I fully charged it, and I used it for a decent amount of time. The battery seemed whatever. Yesterday I used it for 10-11ish hours and I didn't have any charge left unlike other people. The battery was drained. The battery also seems to be draining fast, and I'm conservative with the battery to an extent (smart actions- battery saver, low brightness, turning off chrome sync, turning off wifi, gps, background data, bluetooth when not needed). Today I turned my phone on after completely charging it last night. I've used it today for maybe 1 hour (using web on wifi at home) and it's already down to 89%. That seems really bad. In the battery settings it says my screen usage is 58-60%, chrome is 14-20%, phone idle is 7%. Is everyone getting those numbers? For a 2530mah battery, it doesn't seem like I'm getting to use this phone throughout the day like other people. Any ideas? The battery life doesn't seem to last long, and kind of sucks. I read online that when you first get the phone the battery won't perform good. You have to fully charge and drain it a couple of times to optimize it, and then it will last longer. That's what I'm trying to do now. This article say it (it's for the Razr and Maxx (previous versions) Battery Overview - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA Please help!! I would appreciate it so much!

My maxx hd was the same when i first got it. First 4 or 5 days the battery life wasnt anythifng special. After that though, it worked out the kinks and was fine. Couple tips:

1) let your battery get down to 5-10% before recharging. Dont recharge unless you need to.

2) you'll get better results using the wall charger than plugging into a computer/usb port.

Dont worry. Give it a few days and make sure none of your apps are running constantly in the background. And keep your screen brightness at around 60-75%. The higher you crank that up the faster the battery drains.

Upvote 0
What apps have you downloaded?

... and we're all assuming this was a new device that you got directly from Verizon ... correct? If you got it from a third party then start with a Factory Data Reset.

... Thom

This is for the RAZR HD btw, just to clarify it's NOT the Maxx. I got it from Amazon. I downloaded maybe 8 apps. YouTube, Facebook, Tweetcaster, Chase, Path, Maps etc. How can I get 13 hours of moderate to heavy use and all have around 50% left like others? I'm conservative with battery too. Again... RAZR HD, not MAXX HD lol. Thanks for your input! Really! Any other help would be much appreciated! :)

Upvote 0
I'd personally start by disabling the downloaded apps and enabling them one at a time to see if one of them is eating battery. And realize that when we all got our phones, screen time on was perhaps exaggerated while we played with our toy. But screen time is the biggest killer.

Also consider upgrading to a Maxx if you have the return privilege.

Upvote 0
Go through ALL APPS and ALL SETTINGS one by one. Make sure things like Facebook's background updating is turned off. Turn off all locations based setting except for Google apps (like Maps obviously) and anything else you use a lot (like maybe a weather app like Weather Bug). The first four options in the Facebook settings (Chat availability, Refresh Interval, Messenger locations services, and Sync Photos) should all be turned off/never.

Also, go to your data usage tab in settings. Look at how much data all the apps are using. You can tap on each app, and it will also show you how much of the data used for that app is background data and how much of it is foreground data. Any app that uses a lot of background data needs to have it's setting tweaked.

Upvote 0
Like the guide said, do a FDR, and start from scratch before you have too much to lose to try it. Get a benchmark from your first batt cycle before you reload all your apps, and take a screen shot when the batt is almost depleted. You want to make sure you have a good phone before you invest in too many other "ideas". Also, never put on a car charger, and always run batt down and recharge to 100% with wall charger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones