• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid unable to place calls

Just updated to 2.2 this morning, so I haven't given it enough time to know if my problem is gone, but I thought I'd throw this out there anyway.

About 3 times a week or more, I become unable to place calls on my Droid running 2.1 I use Sype and Google Voice, but not much else that would affect phone calls. The issue comes and goes, and is not related to reception. During the times I am unable to place calls, data and GPS services work perfectly. If I log into Google Voice through a browser and initiate a call, where it calls me first, I receive an incoming call, and can afterward dial out for quite some time. If I have had trouble dialing out, but then receive a call from a friend or customer, then I can call out after that as well (basically any incoming call "fixes" it temporarily).

Steps I have taken to diagnose:

1. rebooted repeatedly, including leaving the battery out after shutting off.
2. uninstalled any unneeded applications, especially ones that have access to calls (have since reinstalled GV and Skype)
3. performed updates to Apps whenever available, and checked for system updates.
4. talked to customer service. Short of doing a factory restore, they basically talked me through everything listed above.
5. visited my local Verizon corporate office. If I don't get it resolved by another call to customer service, they will warranty the phone for a refurbished one... their word is that these can be better than new, because the refurbs are more rigorously tested. I'm not so sure.
6. installed OTA Froyo update this morning

I'm hoping number 6 does the trick, will update if I still have issues. Really, though, I was just wondering if I was the only one dealing with this specific issue. Everyone at Verizon said they had never heard of it. :thinking:

OK, this problem just happened again tonight. I was unable to place a call, even after checking the radio in the info menu, turning it off and back on again, rebooting, etc.

I spent a good part of this morning trying to make sure I only had apps installed that I actually use, and that any apps that access phone calls are actually reliable and received high ratings for compatibility with the Droid. I don't think this issue is being caused by any particular app, and who knows what setting might affect it. If it's a setting, it has to be fairly well hidden. Looks like I may be trying a factory restore and hoping it's not a faulty phone.

Once I log into Google Voice and place a call, my phone sees it as incoming, and I'm fine receiving that call and placing calls for a while after that.

I may be getting the Droid 2 and giving my fiance this phone, since we're likely going to a family plan pretty soon, but I don't want any of my problems to carry over for her. Anyone else have anything like this with the Droid or any Android phone?

Upvote 0
This actually may have been user caused. When I first got my Droid 1 I was getting complaints that I was hard to hear or muffled sounding. I found that users had better call quality by going through the programming menu and changing the vocoder option to EVRC-B, so I followed suit. I never thought I had a problem until I read later that this encoding only works if the network allows it, so depending on signal and location, you may be unable to place calls if you have changed this setting. I now have a Droid 2 and have left these settings untouched, and my fiance has my Droid 1, which we restored to factory settings. No issues so far, and no complaints about call quality. I have toggled back and forth between regular EVRC and 13k, but have not noticed any difference. At least I can always make outgoing calls without waiting for someone to call me first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones