• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X... Attempts to overshadow...?!

Poseidon126

Jul 25, 2010
So I have noticed over the past 3 or so months, during commercials or before a movie starts in a theatre, that their have been commercials for Droid phones... Not one of them were advertising the X. Several were for the Evo 4g, the Droid Incredible, Fascinate and even the Droid 2. But I swear I have not seen a commercial advertising the Droid X.

Is something going on here? Are they trying to make Droid X phones obsolete?! I feel like they are advertising phones that are imo slightly inferior to the X.

Someone help me understand this please.

Seriously, a friend of mine saw my phone, he is a recent Droid buyer (Has the Droid 2) and honest to god, he said to me verbatim "What kind of Droid is that?" He was literally taken a back by the existence of my phone.

I see plenty of X commercials. The one showing off the Wi-fi hotspot feature. The one showing off the lookout app with the X. NFL commercials involing the X's NFL app. And when the phone was 1st released, I saw an X commercial where it appears as if futuristics astronauts discover an X locked away in an underground vault. So that makes 3 Verizon Droid X commercials, and 1 NFL commercial with the Droid X. I will say though, that currently/today, I do see less and less of these X commercials while the Droid 2 and HTC commercials are still occuring.

Upvote 0
Well for one thing the Droid X sold so damn well they really didn't need to throw a bunch of money away on advertising. They are probably happy enough with the sales to date that they're spending their advertising dollars (of the phones mentioned above, only the Droid 2 is made by Motorola, the rest are HTC phones) on their less popular phones, trying to move them as well.

If you had a steady line of people coming to your door all day long every day to buy lemon-aid, you wouldn't worry too much about paying for a billboard sign to stick out front saying, "buy your lemon-aid here", now would you?

Upvote 0
I agree, outside the NFL application commercial that Verizon runs all day and night on Sunday's which has the X on it, but does not really say buy the X I have not seen any lately. However I see a couple Inc commercials each night. Which tells me two things, there is already enough demand for the inventory of the X's that they do not need to advertise it, and since the X has come out no one wants the Inc, so they have to advertise. Bottom line is; commercials will get you in the store, but if you saw the X next to the Inc, would you still get the Inc????

Upvote 0
I agree, outside the NFL application commercial that Verizon runs all day and night on Sunday's which has the X on it, but does not really say buy the X I have not seen any lately. However I see a couple Inc commercials each night. Which tells me two things, there is already enough demand for the inventory of the X's that they do not need to advertise it, and since the X has come out no one wants the Inc, so they have to advertise. Bottom line is; commercials will get you in the store, but if you saw the X next to the Inc, would you still get the Inc????

Nope haha :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones