• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X does not like my wireless router...

can somebody explain this? i see that my router uses WPA2 with AES... so you're saying you change the router's settings? would this mess up my family's wifi?

Yes. You'll have to have them change the security type (if you change that) and reconnect with the new security key even if you used the same key. It's not a big deal if you know how to do that.

Upvote 0
I will not step down to TKIP encryption to fix the problem. I really hope Motorola addresses this issue soon.

I am not thrilled about it either. Because, with TKIP my laptop only connects at 54mb where with AES it connected at 300mb to my router.

But I'm willing to deal with it for now and also hope that it will be addressed soon.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I "fixed" the problem on my dual-band Airport AP by running 802.11n only on the 5Ghz band, and forcing 802.11b/g on the 2.4Ghz band. All of my wifi problems are completely gone, and I still get the benefit of N on my laptops ( which can all handle 5Ghz ).

See my post at: http://androidforums.com/support-tr...d-wifi-issue-airport-extreme.html#post1204168

I did the same, but not on a Airport. I set the 2.4 to B/G and the 5ghz to N only. Seems to have done the trick so far.

I'm running a D-Link DIR 825

Upvote 0
I fixed my problem. I have a Netgear G mimo router and it was set as WPA-Personal TKIP. I changed it to WPA2 with AES and now it works flawlessly. I've read advice to do it the other way around, but this worked for me.
Thank you. This worked for me as well. My internet in general seems faster now...probably just imagining things though haha

Upvote 0
I tried different channels, changing between different WPA and WEP modes, etc, TKIP is what did it for me.

Since I changed to TKIP, I had an initial glitch where my computer gave me a warning that the settings saved for my saved connection with my computer were invalid or didn't work and wouldn't let me connect. I had to go into my computer's network connections and delete the saved connection and then reestablish it, and now both my computer and DROID X connect solidly without hanging, having to turn wifi off/on, etc.

Before this, I'd have the issue where my DROID X would say it's connected, but only give me internet connectivity for about 20 seconds or so and then stop responding (though it still showed connected).

Since I went to TKIP, it works the way it's supposed to.

FYI, I had no computer connectivity problems prior to this nor after (except for having to re-save the connection on my computer).

Just a warning, though: Make sure you know your password to connect your computer to your Wifi, because, in my case, if I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to change the settings back to original, since my computer was cutoff after making that change (less I connect with an ethernet cable to the router directly).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones