• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I currently am on the 2 yr Verizon family plan. I can upgrade my current phone (HTC ozone) to droid x for additional $20 (can't officially upgrade until May). I have been planning on waiting until May b/c other family member also wants droid x but cannot upgrade until May b/c on additional line.

If I buy droid x phones online (say Amazon since they have a sweet $.01 price) will this mess up my contract with Verizon? I've had problems with VZW in past not keeping my family plan contract straight as to phones being eligible for upgrades @ same time, etc.

I also wonder if the monthly insurance that I carry will transfer to new phones?

I realize I will have to activate these phones myself.

Just trying to figure out if I should pull the trigger or control myself for two months. I am not interested in 4G phones and from the sounds of it the "repackaged X" that may or may not be called the X2 will not be an improvement over the current X.

All opinions welcome!

I really dont see the point in waiting if the DX is what you want.

If you buy online, it will not screw up your contract. You are required to stay with them for 2 years and wont be able to upgrade through them for 2 years, this doesnt mean you cant buy a phone from amazon or get one from a friend and activate it. The only problem you may incur is the difference in data plans but this is usually seen when changing from droids to blackberries or vice versa. Im not too sure about the data package you will need or have now.

The monthly insurance should transfer since it is on your number, not your phone. But adding a phone without the help of Verizon makes it a touchy subject sometimes. Odds are, you are good though.

Hopefully someone else can add onto this or correct me if Im wrong. I just go by personal experiences.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones