• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X, Galaxy S3, and now Proclaim (long)

Well sort of,

I still have the S3 with unlimited data on VZW but wanted to upgrade the wife from her LG ENV3 without loosing my unlimited plan.

This has been a great phone for her. I introduced her to Android by giving her a Nexus 7. She uses it for work and has even been able to use an external flash drive with root and Stickmount. She is struggling less now.

The Proclaim has 512k of ram and a 1GHZ processor. It really is close in computing power and OS version to my Droid x. Of course 1GB of storage as opposed to 16, easily corrected with an up to 32 GB MicroSDHC. She actually prefers the smaller screen. It will take her some tome to fill the 2G card with pictures and videos anyhow.

I was able to copy her contacts to a file and migrate them to her Gmail account and move her photos and videos to the supplied 2GB card. I have her using Handcent as she did not like the Balloon type native messaging. I have a data monitor set up to not go over Net10's 1.5 GB monthly limit. She has only had it since 4/2/13 and will most likely use tiny amounts of data as we of course have wifi at home as well as her work.

It might be good to note if you want to port over an existing phone number to do it on a weekday. I applied Saturday evening and nothing happened. Her old phone continued to work just fine till Monday when I got a cal from someone from Net10 that helped me as I had given them the incorrect account number, (VZW one bill as opposed to the true VZW account). They said the phone would be good to go by 5:30 PM the next day. When I got home that day I of course activated it right away. Worked perfectly. The Net10 associate's grasp of the English language was surprisingly good compared to what I've read.

If you are willing to for the most part do a little homework and be your own first line of support, this is just a great little phone that is CDMA-V meaning it hits the Verizon towers. VZW has worked best for me in the areas we travel. If I had kept her on Verizon I would have paid more for the shared plan, lost my unlimited data, paid the F&*%$#g $30 activation fee and been shackled for another 2 years. If VZW dumps my grandfathered unlimited plan I would have limited incentive to stay with them. Most months I pull less than 2GB but on vacation much more. Its nice to know it's there, for now.

Just to sum up, if you are new to the smartphone arena or are just cutting back, and can live within the data limitations, this is just a great phone. Hard to beat for the less than $50 per month with taxes on the monthly renewal plan. It's the "Mini ME" of my S3. Snagged it on Amazon for $99.99, free shipping.

Still looking for a nice TPU case, she might go without. I put a Skinomi screen protector on already.

SH

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones