• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X - This phone sucks!!

The only complaint I have about this phone as that it doesn't dispense beer.

Yours must be defective. Mine has a pop-out tap when I remove the battery cover.

Yeah, it's a poor design - I mean, who wants to pop off the battery cover to get a beer? But all things considered, I think it was the only place the engineers could put it without risk of the tap handle snapping off.

Take it back to Verizon and have them look at it.

Upvote 0
I was specifically speaking to the ability to sync with outlook desktop (no exchange server). I went from an Incredible to an X because of signal problems and terrible battery life... I "discovered" that the X can't do Outlook (local PC) sync like the Inc can so I had to switch to google calendar and contacts. I was VERY disappointed but shame on me for assuming all phones at this point could do that cleanly. (and free right out of the box).

I see you point (HTC Sync?) however I was referring to you last comment in the post where you say "If you are talking exchange, the Droid X will do it with touchdown..." I was saying you do not need touchdown to do exchange.

A user that does not use exchange can simply use Google Calendar sync for calendar events.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's blocked BECAUSE it's not safe. He's just assuming that's why they block it.

For someone that works in IT, we block gmail because there is no way for us to monitor the emails being sent or received. And I believe almost all other major corporations do the same thing.

He specifically says in his OP that it's because its not secure.

Companies absolutely block GMAIL as well as other sites for various reasons.

Upvote 0
2. Music - I have been trying to figure out a way that music sync'd to the Droid will play in the proper order. The Droid will only play music in Alphabetical order. I can't find a way to play music in Track # order.

I suggest touchdown for email/calendar/contacts like others, it's fantastic especially if you have email on an exchange server. In that regards it's just like using outlook on a PC. Also you could try synccell.

As for music, this is easy. Bring up the Album tab. Locate the album you wish to play. Press AND HOLD the album. Options will pop up, press play, and the album will play in order.

I recommend the cubed player however. I agree, there should be an option when bringing up tracks individually to list by name or track order.

Reactions: khsjsilver
Upvote 0
This is my first "smartphone" although I have used a corporate Blackberry and I have used a Palm for many years. I've had this phone for about a month now. While the hardware is ok, the software for critical functions (Calendar, Contacts, Notepad, and Music) absolutely sucks!!

1. I do not want to use Google/Gmail for my calendar and contacts. I don't know about any of you, but I do not feel comfortable having my confidental contact and calendar information sitting on the internet in Google. The company I work for even has a block on Google contacts & Gmail because it is not secure and frought with potential for virus. I want a way to sync calander, contacts and notepad directly from my PC to my phone. Unfortunately, this can't be done. I've tried Companion Link. Besides the fact that it cost $39, I can't even get it to work. This type of functionality should be a basic part of a smartphone. Iphones do it. Blackberry's do it. Palm Pre does it. Why not the Droid?

2. Music - I have been trying to figure out a way that music sync'd to the Droid will play in the proper order. The Droid will only play music in Alphabetical order. I can't find a way to play music in Track # order. I have been on the phone with Motorola for hours. Finally got to Level 2 tech support. They told me that it cannot be done. How stupid is this? Try listening to a Broadway Show album in alphabetical order!!

I would be happy to hear some of your suggestions to solve my problems.

Right now I feel if you just want a fancy toy, buy a Droid. If you want a real "smartphone" look somewhere else.

Yup, your right. Pour me another beer.

Upvote 0
He specifically says in his OP that it's because its not secure.

Companies absolutely block GMAIL as well as other sites for various reasons.

And most of those companies don't realize how secure gmail is. Most of those companies are just paraniod for no reason.

IE, I can download a lot of pictures sent, like 12 of them 10MB each... gmail will scan for virii before I download.

I'd say that's very secure. About anti-virus scanning - Gmail Help

Upvote 0
GMAIL is offered to corporate domains for hosting, and a LOT of companies use it. So gmail IS a corporate email system.:cool:

First, gmail is NOT a corporate email system. Google APPS is (not @gmail.com, but @yourdomain.com). You kinda left out my WHOLE statement - Maybe on purpose? Let me help you out....

"Granted GMAIL is not a corporate email system, but google apps is stealing away exchange users."

Upvote 0
And most of those companies don't realize how secure gmail is. Most of those companies are just paraniod for no reason.

IE, I can download a lot of pictures sent, like 12 of them 10MB each... gmail will scan for virii before I download.

I'd say that's very secure. About anti-virus scanning - Gmail Help

I was referring to some corporate polices for personal email or general web browsing. I am aware that gmail/google apps uses the BEST protection probably out there - POSTINI.

Upvote 0
I was referring to some corporate polices for personal email or general web browsing. I am aware that gmail/google apps uses the BEST protection probably out there - POSTINI.

I did say that some corp is just paraniod for no reason. Or they don't want employees to have an outlet when they should be doing their jobs.

Corp policy is just that! :cool:

On the other note, google can host your *.com MX under gmail. It's not a secret. I'm not talking about GA, I'm talking GM. :cool:

Upvote 0
This is my first "smartphone" although I have used a corporate Blackberry and I have used a Palm for many years. I've had this phone for about a month now. While the hardware is ok, the software for critical functions (Calendar, Contacts, Notepad, and Music) absolutely sucks!!

1. I do not want to use Google/Gmail for my calendar and contacts. I don't know about any of you, but I do not feel comfortable having my confidental contact and calendar information sitting on the internet in Google. The company I work for even has a block on Google contacts & Gmail because it is not secure and frought with potential for virus. I want a way to sync calander, contacts and notepad directly from my PC to my phone. Unfortunately, this can't be done. I've tried Companion Link. Besides the fact that it cost $39, I can't even get it to work. This type of functionality should be a basic part of a smartphone. Iphones do it. Blackberry's do it. Palm Pre does it. Why not the Droid?

2. Music - I have been trying to figure out a way that music sync'd to the Droid will play in the proper order. The Droid will only play music in Alphabetical order. I can't find a way to play music in Track # order. I have been on the phone with Motorola for hours. Finally got to Level 2 tech support. They told me that it cannot be done. How stupid is this? Try listening to a Broadway Show album in alphabetical order!!

Right now I feel if you just want a fancy toy, buy a Droid. If you want a real "smartphone" look somewhere else.

1 - Where are you getting this Google/Gmail phobia from? Links? Sure they're big, sure they're a corporation, but do you honestly think that with all the watchdogs and paranoid, privacy-obsessed people out there Google's gonna be able to sneak some big brother-esqe spy software in their products?

2 - Are you sure your album has its track listing information correct? If you go to music, go to the 'Albums' tab and play the first track, does it do what you want or is it all out of order? If it is out of order, you have to edit the track information. See if that helps at all.

Upvote 0
I avoid Broadway Show tunes.

agree. i my X is programmed to not play show tunes. at all. of any kind...its an app called iMan. it only plays music that makes broadway lovers ears bleed. :eek:
jk!!! im just closed minded because i dont know anyone that listens to that wonderfully awful music and everyone i know loves my phone....sooooooo step away from the closet....and put down the rent soundtrack....itll be ok if you come with us.:D

Upvote 0
As far as music playing out of track order, make sure your MP3 files are named "01 - Track Name.mp3", "02 - Track Name.mp3", etc.

They'll play in order then... If the number at the front bothers you in the track name, then make sure your MP3 files have ID3 tags in addition to the file names being named as stated above. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
1. Theres over 10 options above to solve your first issue.

2. Organize your music for gods sake, hell even WMP playes in alphabetical order, I organized my music by Artist/Album/Song IF there is a album that needs to be in a certain order ( I'm no broadway fan but some older albums like Pink Floyd kinda require you to listen in a piticular order to get the point across ) then simply edit the MP3s name and place a #1, #2 in front of the title - not many albums require this but this is so simple to do its not even funny. You could make a playlist, I'm against them but that too works.

If you don't like it, take it back - googles getting more secure that you or your company may think.

Upvote 0
As far as music playing out of track order, make sure your MP3 files are named "01 - Track Name.mp3", "02 - Track Name.mp3", etc.

They'll play in order then... If the number at the front bothers you in the track name, then make sure your MP3 files have ID3 tags in addition to the file names being named as stated above. Problem solved.

You beat me to it.... :p

Upvote 0
1. Theres over 10 options above to solve your first issue.

2. Organize your music for gods sake, hell even WMP playes in alphabetical order, I organized my music by Artist/Album/Song IF there is a album that needs to be in a certain order ( I'm no broadway fan but some older albums like Pink Floyd kinda require you to listen in a piticular order to get the point across ) then simply edit the MP3s name and place a #1, #2 in front of the title - not many albums require this but this is so simple to do its not even funny. You could make a playlist, I'm against them but that too works.

If you don't like it, take it back - googles getting more secure that you or your company may think.

This isn't necessary, and would be a huge pain in the ass for anyone with a huge music library. All you have to do to have songs play in "album order" is long press the album and select "play all". If you just tap the album it will list the songs in alphabetical order. I do agree with OP that this seems a little crazy - no other music player I've ever had does this. But I do think he's a fool for ranting and flaming rather than asking how to solve his problem.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of your posts and suggestions.

1. I am still reluctant to put my contact information on Google. Included in my contacts are many login id's, passwords and social security numbers. I currently keep all of this information information in my Palm and I would love to retire my Palm. Companionlink is the only software that I know of that syncs with a Palm. I have not been able to get it work, but I will keep trying and looking for a solution.

2. Your suggestions have solve my issue. Long pressing the album name allows you to play the album in the correct sequence. I searched long and hard for this hint and spent several hours on the phone with Verizon and Motorola tech support and was unable for find the answer. Again, thanks for your help with this.

Foxgguy2001 - Yes, I am from Princeton and like Scuba. How did you know??

Ken

Upvote 0

I feel the same way, and you are right, I'm about to return this fency 'toy' and get a 'real' smartphone!
I agree with you 100% and have exactly same issues. But since you are on a corp. you guys should have an exchange server, if so, check out 'touchdown' it's free, lots raves on it, and works 100% w/exchange.
So I hear, I can't use it, I'm not on an exchange server. No longer in the IT industry :(
After 25 years, they put me out to the pasture :(

Upvote 0
I was also very distressed at first with the lack of a straightforward sync interface for my Droid X. I don't think I should have had to spend as many hours researching and rooting around for a solution (and pay for it, to boot...), but I think using the gSyncit program at http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/ seems to be working OK. Took a little noodling around to get Outlook properly interfaced with Gmail (hope you think cloud-based interface is OK), but I got a prompt response to an email inquiry to the support at the website and all seems to sync up fine. Compared to the high $ figures from some other providers, $14.95 for a single computer is not bad.
Soooo, we'll see if this works as a long-term solution.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones