• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dssapointed in my EVO & Android...

Get the 3000 mah battery out of the "Reviews'' section and call it done. 20$ for two batteries and two back covers. Lasts all day easy

Exactly what I did. Still waiting for them to arrive from China via Neptune :) But seriously, 1500mah just ain't enough for a phone that does this much. 3000mah is plenty to get you through the day and plug in when you get home.

People spends hours and hours trying to eek an extra 1/2 hour out of this battery when they could just buy a better battery.

Upvote 0
Also, what the heck about Android 2.2 is bloatware? You mean HTC Sense is bloatware (perhaps it is), but Android 2.2 has zero bloat.

I would call the bundled Sprint apps bloat. Of course, there are people who actually use those apps, so for them, it's not bloat. But denying the user the choice to uninstall is a HUGE no-no for me. That was my first motivation for rooting.

After rooting, I fell deeply in love with the phone, realizing that I really had set it free, and I had control.

But I have to admit, in order to fly this jet, you need some technical skillz.

Upvote 0
Yea.... Sprint software on the phone is bloatware... however there is nothing else taking up unnecessary space.

Also, without doing anything to my phone when stock I was getting about 16 hours average (some less, some more) with moderate use, then about what you're getting if I was watching videos, playing games, and web browsing non-stop.

Upvote 0
Long term I'm banking on a reliable 2.2 root. I think a rooted evo with no bloat would be a completely different story.

Seriously, unrevoked has an idiot-proof root process for 2.2:

[ROOT] unrEVOked 3.2: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading - xda-developers

No bloat you say? Check out the Fresh ROM:

[ROM] 9/3/10 | Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0 | New OTA Base + New Stagefright + New HTC Kernel - xda-developers

Add whatever Sprint apps you 'do' want. I put Sprint Nav / TV back on and that's about it.

I'm getting over 2x the battery life I got with 2.1. If you don't want to turn half the phone of and on all day (I sure as heck don't) you should still be able to get 12+ hours out of the phone. I streamed Pandora all day long at my desk where I get very poor signal and it took the battery down to just under 30% in 8 hours. Not too shabby.

If you haven't guessed I'm very happy with the Fresh ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones