• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DST Issue today?

mxphlipper

Lurker
Oct 31, 2011
This AM, my phone clock was an hour behind. Alarm went off at 515am, but clock in kitchen was 615am. Had to be at work at 7am. Panic dressed and when I got into vehicle for 45min drive. It's clock said 625am, phone was 525am. I'm in New Orleans. Friend in Shreveport has same model and it didn't happen to him.

Called ATT on way in and they said that 'maybe' the auto DST detect was 'set' for the old DST effective date which traditionally has been the Sat prior to halloween. But I'm pretty sure the clock was accurate all day Sun.

About 730am 'real time' phone jumped ahead to the correct time.

Anyone else have this issue?

Phil

Most cell phone's get their time from the network.

It sounds like, for some reason, AT&T was feeding it the wrong timezone. This is weird because it get's it from the tower it's connected to.

I'm guessing the tower you were connected to at home, over night, had the wrong DST time in it and they fixed it sometime around 7:20 this morning. This could also explain why your friend didn't have the problem... it was limited to the one tower you were on.

You can disable this in Settings, Date and Time Settings... Uncheck "Use network-provided values."

This means you will have to update the time on the phone for DST changes, or if you travel to another time zone. (That's really all that function is for.)

Upvote 0
I considered that. But my dad's phone is ATT and his had the correct time in the the same house. Weird.

If that's the case, then probably hitting a different tower during my commute fixed it.

His phone may not be pulling the time from the network. That's why I said "Most" of them do. His may not, or he may have turned that off.

Regardless, they either fixed the tower, or, as you suspect, you got the right time from another tower.

Back a couple of years ago, we had a tower here that was constantly giving the wrong time (Off by 5 minutes). And, when you use a BlackBerry, it seems the BIS servers all of your information goes through, looks at the time signature and invalidates your security certificates if they don't have the right time stamp. For about 6 months, we had to call AT&T at least ONCE a week about that tower giving the wrong time. They would reset it, but it would go out a week later.

You would think they would use a central NTP (Network Time Protocol) sever that you get the time from. But, it looks like it's a tower-by-tower thing.

Reactions: mxphlipper
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones