• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Due an upgrade. Shall I go for the HTC Desire HD?

vard

Dec 18, 2009
I have had my HTC hero for over a year now. It's a great phone, but obviously just short on the processing power required to really make use of the android OS. I haven't been keeping up to date on the ins and outs of what's what in the android world, so I don't know what phones are just around the corner - before I extend my contract I want to be sure I'm getting the absolute best android phone going; Ideally one which won't be out-matched within a week! As was the case when I got the Hero. Any advice guys? What phone would you get. (PS: the only phone I'd stay clear of is the Galaxy S - purely because I don't like the look. I hated the look of the original iphone, and that thing is near enough a carbon copy)

I'd deffinately go for the Desire HD if youre fine without a keyboard, otherwise then I'd go for a Desire Z. I have an original Desire and it is awesome, the difference between the Desire series and the Hero is just massive and I don't think it will be beaten until atleast after christmas and even then it will easily hold its own.

I agree with the Galaxy S, I don't know how they managed to make a phone with such a beautiful screen so ugly. Plus I've heard and seen quite a few niggles still with the SGS which aren't fixed without rooting.

Upvote 0
I want to be sure I'm getting the absolute best android phone going; Ideally one which won't be out-matched within a week!

Whatever you settle on today will be 'old hat' within weeks so take time to work out what you want in a handset and then look for those that match your criteria. Above all, hit the stores and get a feel for them in your hand. Specs are all well and good, but won't tell you if the phone actually suits you and the way you'll use it.

Upvote 0
I haven't been keeping up to date on the ins and outs of what's what in the android world, so I don't know what phones are just around the corner - before I extend my contract I want to be sure I'm getting the absolute best android phone going; Ideally one which won't be out-matched within a week! As was the case when I got the Hero. Any advice guys?
As already stated above, something newer is always around the corner.

What phone would you get. (PS: the only phone I'd stay clear of is the Galaxy S - purely because I don't like the look. I hated the look of the original iphone, and that thing is near enough a carbon copy)
What I would get doesn't matter. What are you specifically looking for? For some reason these "What should I get?" threads always omit this critical information. If you want meaningful recommendations then post your requirements. Unless your needs/wants happen to be identical to mine (or anyone else's) then it doesn't do you any good to poll people like this. It's not a one-size-fits-all world. What's best for one isn't necessarily the best for another. Best is always highly subjective.

Upvote 0
As already stated above, something newer is always around the corner.

What I would get doesn't matter. What are you specifically looking for? For some reason these "What should I get?" threads always omit this critical information. If you want meaningful recommendations then post your requirements. Unless your needs/wants happen to be identical to mine (or anyone else's) then it doesn't do you any good to poll people like this. It's not a one-size-fits-all world. What's best for one isn't necessarily the best for another. Best is always highly subjective.

Exactly. It's like people asking what color car they should buy... ugh! Just buy what you like and be happy with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones